HELP with itunes/iphone syncing??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amyinnc, Dec 3, 2013.

1. amyinnc macrumors newbie

I have an iphone 4. Also have a Mac Powerbook G4 on its last legs..cant even use newest version of itunes on it, so was wanting to hook my iphone up with my husbands mac.

when doing so, it says its already synced with my computer and that i need to erase my info and sync with his..i dont want to do that!
    How can i just hook my phone up so I can download ringtones, etc on his Mac?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Use Migration Assistant to transfer your old computer to the newer computer.

Shouldn't be any problem if two computers have different accounts. Otherwise I am guessing you have to change the account name on the old computer.

2. Once you have the accounts, turn on Fast User Switching:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4012

3. amyinnc thread starter macrumors newbie

we share the same itunes account..but we have like 30,000 songs in itunes due to a music company we own..and when it says "erase and sync" does that mean it will just wipe out my sounds, music, etc. and replace with ALL his stuff, apps my kids have downloaded, etc?

4. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Here's what I'd do but it's a bit of a long one.

Enable iCloud on your phone to save all of your contacts and pics etc and make it do a backup.

On his Mac, create a new user account with admin privileges and login.

Open iTunes and you'll find that it's empty, connect your phone and let it sync and erase etc and set it up as a new phone when the option arises.

Then go back into partners user account and go into his iTunes Library folder in Music. Copy only the music folder over to a removable hard drive.

Go back into iTunes in your own user account and import all of that music from the hard drive (will take a while). Go into the Store option in iTunes and hit Authorize Audible account and use your shared Apple ID (this will let you play and use any songs you may have bought). Then create your own playlists etc and sync them to the phone.

Then go back onto your phone and sign into iCloud in settings to restore all of your stuff to the device.

That should just about do it and from this point on, only ever use your user profile to sync your phone.

Sadly they are made as "personal" devices, keeping things all in one account only causes problems like this down the line.