Help with iTunes recognizing iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Benji222, May 1, 2010.

1. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

So long story short, while running iTunes once i must have held shift and it asked me to "load a library." I panicked and found a library file in my iTunes folder and clicked on it.
    Heres where the problem is... This jumped my iTunes back to December 2009. With all the music I had then, and then when i noticed some were missing I dragged everything in my music folder over and it created duplicates. I fixed everything in that regard9renaming and cleaning).

After about a week of random cleaning here and there, its time to finally sync my iPhone(not jailbroken if your wondering, want too though ) to iTunes.
    1. It doesn't recognize it and Now is saying that I have to change the iPhone to this library, but its technically the same library. Is there any way i can make it recognize it?

2. Also, can I somehow update my iTunes library file(.itl) through some action in iTunes so this doesnt happen again?

3. Is there anyway to save my app data? If i delete all the old apps and press import purchased things it moves them over.. But will it sync normally and not take them all off just to put them all back on?

Btw, i posted this in another section for iPhones becuase im not sure which it applies too...

2. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

I think you can change libraries without completely sacrificing the way other stuff is configured. Unless you restore the iPhone, but still as long as you've transferred all you purchases, and have a full backup recent of the iPhone all you do is accept changing libraries, the other stuff should be fine, and left alone. The only thing that should change is the iPod and Video related things.

I don't know for sure, seems like i remember doing something like this once, a year or so ago. Maybe someone else has some more in depth way to do it. But to me it's not really any less work to just sync with the 'new' library and re-configure the apps that might need it.

3. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222

Ok but will I loose my application data. its not too big of a deal to me, but i was wondering if i could delete all my apps in my iTunes from December 2009 and then load my purchases. They come back into my library, but are they the exact ones from my phone?

4. Benji222 thread starter macrumors 65816

Benji222