Help with iTunes rental please???

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by davidg4781, Jul 30, 2016.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I've been trying to rent a movie through iTunes for the past 45 minutes. I'm using a 3rd gen Apple TV.

Whenever I tried to rent through Apple TV it kept asking me to go to my computer and verify my payment method. Did that. Even did it on iPhone. Still kept asking me to verify it.

So I rented it on iPhone. That went through (still asked me to verify). But now on Apple TV it's showing as I need to pay for the rental. It's also downloading on iPhone.

This is aggravating. My first experience renting a movie from iTunes and so far it hasn't been pleasant.

I've tried restarting Apple TV and that does not help.

2. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

I've never rented a movie from iTunes, so I'm not an expert, but my understanding was that you can only download it to one iOS device. From Apple's site:

"If you rented the movie on your iOS device or Apple TV, you can’t move it to any other device....

You can also stream a rented movie from your computer or your iOS device to your Apple TV using AirPlay after it’s fully downloaded."

I think your best option is letting it finish downloading on your phone, then streaming to the ATV from there.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

I brought the 4th Apple TV in here. I'll hook it up to see how that goes. My understanding is Apple TV is considered iOS and should bundle with iPhone rentals. I may have to do a sign out and back in with the 3rd gen. Maybe somethings not synced. It wasn't showing in my Remote App all day.

We've started watching Robin Hood so it'll be a couple hours until I can try it out.

4. mikzn macrumors 6502a

mikzn

Just a thought here - somethimes the Apple ID and the iTunes account are not the same. That can be confusing and cause problems like that. Not sure if that helps but might be worth checking to see if the itunes account is the same as the apple ID?

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

I checked on the 3rd gen and it was showing under my iCloud address. My Apple ID/ iTunes account is under gmail, but the iCloud is under that. I can usually sign on with either. I did sign out and back in with gmail and it only gives me the option to rent, not to view the rental.

I might have to wait until tomorrow. It's late and I hate to start it and run out of the 24 hours.