Help with iWeb!!!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by justflie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Hey guys

I'm trying to develop a site for work using iWeb. The finished product will be run as an internal site off our NAS.

I have been publishing to a local folder to test it in IE. IE handles it extremely poorly (not displaying the navigation bar, photo albums, etc).

However, if I publish it to Mobile Me, IE can see it just fine. I don't have much of an idea what the problem is. I thought that perhaps it's an issue that I'm not specifying a "website URL" in my local version.

I had originally chalked it up to IE's general crapiness but then I noticed that it behaved itself when I published to Mobile Me.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. TheCoupe macrumors member

Hi, the only thing I could think of is if the NAS would have Apache running, which I doubt it would.

If you are just trying to run the site from a standard folder, then there isn't anything to officially process the scripts in your site, which is why it would display properly on MobileMe, but not locally from your NAS.

I presume you are testing this on a mac, and if so, try putting your site into /Library/WebServer/Documents/ and turn on web sharing on your computer from within the Sharing Pane of System Preferences, then from within your browser, just go to http://localhost/, or from Windows to test in IE, go to, http://(your mac's IP address)/

At least this way you can check to see if your scripts are performing properly.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The only thing the scripts need is a browser because JavaScript runs client-side, not server side. The site should display fine as long as the paths are relative rather than absolute (which would require it to be on a server). Also, it sounds lime IE is the only browser having issues. It has been known to have issues with iWeb created pages.

4. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

Excellent, TheCoupe. You rock, it behaves perfectly now. I published it to the Sites folder, turned on the sharing, and was able to properly access it from a windows pc on my network. Thanks!

5. TheCoupe macrumors member

Thanks. If you would prefer that the site runs from the NAS, you could check your source code, regarding what Angelwatt suggests, to see if your links within your documents are indeed relative or absolute.

At least this way, you will know what to change next time, should you end up building another site which you would like to be hosted on your NAS.