Help with jailbreak/unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nonco, Mar 31, 2012.

1. nonco macrumors newbie

Well I just bought an iPhone 3GS from a guy on craigslist. The phone is currently stuck in the activation screen where it wants me to put a sim card in or else it won't go forward. I have a T-Mobile sim card that i was using in another phone and I have previously unlocked my iPhone 3G to use tmobile until that phone broke.

My question is, is it possible to jailbreak and unlock the ipHone 3GS while it is in the activation state? I don't even know what ISPW to use because I don't know what firmware the phone is running.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can use an inactive at&t sim. Get it from ebay or the at&t store.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you buy it first and ask later?
    Depending on the 3GS model you might not be able to unlock and if you attemp on the wrong iPhone you can ruin it for good.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Find someone with an AT&T SIM that you can borrow for iTunes activation or go to the AT&T store and buy a prepaid SIM for that purpose. From there, you will be able to find out the firmware/baseband through the Settings > General > About screen. If you attempt to hactivate or jailbreak using a random firmware you could end up doing some serious damage that may require a DFU restore which could nullify your chances of being able to unlock.