Help with Jailbreaking Boss phone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by camaroIOM, Nov 17, 2011.

1. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

Boss wants iphone 4 jailbroken and has the IOS 5 software. He is not computer savy and would like me to perform the jailbreak. With being a tethered jailbreak will he be able to restore cydia from home computer if phone powers down?? We will be doing initial jailbreak from my laptop. Would he just need software on his computer to restore or does it save info from phone during initial jailbreak.

Thanks for your help

2. JoshAlder macrumors member

you will need a copy of redsn0w to reboot the device if the battery runs out or you acidentally switch the phone off. if he downloads that then he can do it from his home computer.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

To be honest,

I really, really, really think this is a bad idea. Why? Because the fact alone that it's tethered and he's clueless about jailbreaks just wreaks of havoc in my mind, especially when it comes to restarting or the phone dying. That aside, many themes and tweaks have yet to be updated and could lead to more confusion ("why doesn't this work", "why is my phone slower", "why is my battery life lower", "what is winterboard?")

In general, jailbreaking isn't really hard, but seeing as he is using you to help out, you will basically be responsible for fixing every small glitch or responsible if his iOS becomes corrupted. Just sounds like a lot of extra hassle.

At the very least, I would wait for the untether, that way he will be less dependent on you!

PS With all respect you even sound a little unsure about jailbreaking or how to manage it. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to jailbreaking but I still don't think I would do it for my boss, granted how clueless he is and how annoying jailbreaking can be if you're clueless.

4. JoshAlder macrumors member

True. A quick walkthrough of cydia and a link to the database will put him on the right path, it is his choice after all. He can aways restore if he wants to.

5. camaroIOM thread starter macrumors 6502

Very true. I told him if he didnt like the jailbreak then he could go back. However I could see him being frustrated if having to reconnect all the time. He states phone rarely runs out of juice, but I worry about cydia apps that require restarts. His main goal in jailbreaking is themes along with Mywi. When downloading texting tones and themes from cydia does this require reconnect via a tether jailbreak?

6. JoshAlder macrumors member

After installing the theme/bundle that you want, you usually either have to hit 'return to cydia' or 'restart springboard' In some circumstances (winterboard i believe) you will have to reboot your device, you will need to plug your device in and reboot via redsn0w and the package should be installed.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Since it has OS5 on it. You can install Semi Tether from the big boss on it for him. He can reboot it anytime and still can use the basic function of the phone until he gets back to his office to boot it up with Redsn0w or pass it on to you to do so.