Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khanf1350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
I have an iphone 4 currently running 4.3.2 (8H7) on 04.10.01 baseband. I didn't upgrade to ios 5 at the time because I thought it wasn't stable and since my phone was running okay I thought why mess up a good thing. I have never updated my iphone via itunes. Now I want to upgrade to ios 5 but when I use sn0wbreeze (because I need to preserve my baseband) and create my custom backup of 5.1.1 (using the older iPhone_4-GSM-5.1.1-9B206.ipsw) and go to itunes (while in dfu) and restore the back up I keep getting error 3194. I've tried deleting the hosts gs.apple.com text lines and it still does it. Is apple not signing ios 5 anymore? is there another server I can redirect it to? does it HAVE to be apple? If they aren't signing and I don't have shsh blobs for ios 5 does that mean I'm so SOL? is there another program that can do it for me besides itunes? would maybe an older itunes work? or is the only thing that I can do is wait for an untethered ios 6 jailbreak and ultrasn0w?

help is much appreciated!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Simple answer

If you didn't bother to save SHSH files for 5.x.x, you cannot get to 5.x.x.
No way to get around this.

And just so you know, both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 were the most stable and problem free jailbreaks for iPhone 4, and the other newer devices.
Not sure where you might have gotten the idea to think otherwise.

Every iDevice I own is still on 5.1.1 (except the iPhone 5 of course)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have an iphone 4 currently running 4.3.2 (8H7) on 04.10.01 baseband. I didn't upgrade to ios 5 at the time because I thought it wasn't stable and since my phone was running okay I thought why mess up a good thing. I have never updated my iphone via itunes. Now I want to upgrade to ios 5 but when I use sn0wbreeze (because I need to preserve my baseband) and create my custom backup of 5.1.1 (using the older iPhone_4-GSM-5.1.1-9B206.ipsw) and go to itunes (while in dfu) and restore the back up I keep getting error 3194. I've tried deleting the hosts gs.apple.com text lines and it still does it. Is apple not signing ios 5 anymore? is there another server I can redirect it to? does it HAVE to be apple? If they aren't signing and I don't have shsh blobs for ios 5 does that mean I'm so SOL? is there another program that can do it for me besides itunes? would maybe an older itunes work? or is the only thing that I can do is wait for an untethered ios 6 jailbreak and ultrasn0w?

help is much appreciated!

Ultrasnow is just for unlocking the phone to use on unofficial carrier.
Like mentioned above if you have no blobs you cannot restore or upgrade to any firmware version besides the latest one out. That would be 6.0.1 for now and then wait for a new JB to be released or go with a tethered JB.

khanf1350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Well the first time I used jailbreak me and then never bothered because I didn't know how it worked really and still dont really know everything either.

Looks like I'll have to buy another I phone with a jailbroken and unlocked ios 5?

Is there a jailbreak and unlock for Iphone 4s? on ios 5?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Well the first time I used jailbreak me and then never bothered because I didn't know how it worked really and still dont really know everything either.

Looks like I'll have to buy another I phone with a jailbroken and unlocked ios 5?

Is there a jailbreak and unlock for Iphone 4s? on ios 5?

With regard to jailbreak, already answered in my original post (#2)
Hint: Second sentence
Note: "and newer devices"

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So do you want it unlocked or try to unlock it or do you just want it JB.
Unlocking and jailbreaking are 2 totally different things.
I still dont get what you're trying to do.
Is this particular iphone 4 locked to any network and are you trying to use it as a phone on another network?
What carrier is it locked to?

khanf1350

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
It's locked to fido I used ultrasn0w to unlock it I want ios 5 but I guess there is no way to go to ios 5. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a jailbroken and unlocked 4s 32gb

----------

that is on ios 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.