Help with Jailbreaking/Unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Xerexz, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Xerexz macrumors newbie

Hello, please read the entire thread. And I did search, but I found some conflicting ideas (downgrade to 4.0.1, oh wait I don't have SHSH or something so I can't or something). Also, if you're going to be rude then please don't bother posting at all (I'm only 16, and I've never done anything like this before)

I've never jailbroken my phone before, and I've had it for about 2 years now. I have an iPhone 3GS, 32GB. It's on firmware version 4.1 (8B117) right now, and it's modem firmware is 05.14.02. Also I have Windows Vista 32 bit.

I primarily want to jailbreak my iPhone so I can add new themes, more apps and I can install the same app more than once. But I'm a total noob at jailbreaking or anything like it.
    If possible, I would like to unlock my iPhone too (as my family will probably want to get a different contract with a different carrier), so please help me with this too.

Can someone please post a tutorial/link to tutorial that would satisfy my needs? After doing some searching and googling, I went to this thread where I learned about firmware, etc. I followed the flowchart which said to downgrade to 4.0.1 (I THINK, I don't quite understand the 'bootrom' part, as in the thread it doesn't say how to find your bootrom (I think, I may have overlooked it), and also it doesn't say how to downgrade. So I googled how to downgrade from 4.1 to 4.0.1 for this purpose, and I found something that said like "You need old SHSH blobs" or something, which I don't think I have. Explain that please. And can you explain what is the 'add to hosts file' part.

Please help, thanks in advance.

2. jonrando, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

jonrando macrumors 6502a

For the jailbreak on 4.1:

http://www.tipb.com/2010/10/23/jailbreak-ios-41-greenpois0n/

EDIT:

Installing apps for free that are usually paid is illegal.

3. Xerexz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, can you answer my questions though? With greenpois0n, do I need to edit the hosts file at all or anything?

Also, http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/26/grooveshark-iphone-app-cydia/. This is what I'm trying to get.

EDIT: Also, when I jailbreak it, will I have to add all my music, photos and everything again? And can I still download music, movies to my iPhone via iTunes?

4. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

You usually ONLY have to edit the hosts file when you restore to custom firmware or SHSH blobs, so your fine. As well, when you jailbreak, everything should be intact. However, backup before attempting to jailbreak so you have a copy of settings, app data, etc on your computer.

As well, yes, you could still sync your iPhone to your computer to put songs, movies, etc on your iPhone.

As for unlocking. It is possible, but the method of unlocking for your iPhone is not practical with your knowledge of jailbreaking and iDevices, so I highly recommend you do not attempt it. I suggest asking someone more professional to do it IF YOU SO WISH TO AND UNDERSTAND ALL THE THINGS THAT MAY HAPPEN AFTER UNLOCKING with BB 6.15.00.

5. Xerexz thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks, that's very helpful. I'll make a back-up now. Can you please tell me what OpenSSH (or something) is? (in the tutorial showing you how to have 2 same apps on one iphone, it's mentioned)
    I did some reading, and to change it to 6.15.00 (iPad's version) means I won't get my GPS thing. Is that true? I understand, I think I'll hold off unlocking for now then.

6. Xerexz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, I've been trying to jailbreak my iPhone for like 4 times now with green pois0n. Failed every time. Anyone know why? My internet is pretty slow here, could that affect it?

Is there something other than greenpois0n? Please, I NEED help.

7. Xerexz thread starter macrumors newbie

Managed to jailbreak it. I'm guessing my slow internet WAS a problem, so I followed this: http://www.jbfaq.com/article.asp?id=61
    Maybe this thread can be used as a reference for others.