Help with Java

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Erinm9924, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Erinm9924 macrumors newbie

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me. My Java version 1.3.1 stopped working. Im not sure if i need to re install. My browser is camino .8 and it says java is enabled. My ibook is super old, im running on os x 10.1.5 !! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You,
    Erin

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Did your Java stop working or is your perfectly good installation of Java 1.3.1 trying to execute a Java 1.4, Java 1.5, or Java 1.6 program?

3. Erinm9924 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I try to play a game requiring JVM it says that I need to install JVM to play the game. I know it is installed. I am very confused and sorry if I sound ignorant, I am brand new to the Mac world.

4. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Have you tried other browsers?

1.3.1 is quite an old JVM at this point. You're going to find a lot of applets out there that take advantage of 1.4 or even 1.5 features and won't run in 1.3.

5. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

6. portent macrumors 6502a

Go to
    http://www.javatester.org/version.html

to test your JVM.

If it says something like "Java version 1.3.1 from Apple Computer" in pink, then Java is working correctly. If so, then it's likely that the site or game you're trying to use requires a newer version of Java, which would probably require a newer version of Mac OS X. Version 1.3.1 is several years out of date.

7. Erinm9924 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. I tried that site. The first time it said my browser had Java disabled. I made sure the settings were correct under preferences and tried again. This time nothing at all appeared in the rectangle!!

8. Salmar macrumors regular

Erinm, I just checked that site that you posted and this is what I found. In the pink rectangle it says Java version 1.5.0.1.3 from Apple Inc.

The version and vendor from the JRE

If Java is working, you will see a pink rectangle above with one line of text that says something like:

Java Version 1.5.0_12 from Sun Microsystems Inc. or
    Java Version: 1.3.1 from Apple Computer, Inc. or
    Java Version: 1.1.4 from Microsoft Corp.

9. Erinm9924 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, So when I try that site nothing at all appears in the rectangle!!