Help With Kernel Panic Issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RokoL, Jun 28, 2015.

1. RokoL macrumors newbie

Hey, guys. First timer here looking for some help. I recently had an issue where my hard drive suddenly started ticking like a WWI bomb and was no longer recognized by my Mac Book Pro. I bought a brand new WD drive and all I get when I try to boot up to do my OS installation is the kernel panic unsupported cpu error. I've tried booting up into disk utility and booting into safe mode as well as not holding any keys and it always goes to the kernel panic. I've looked at some supposed ways to get out of this situation and nothing has worked. Does anybody have an idea for me? I'm totally out of inspiration.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

This means that the installer you're using is too old for your specific computer. What installer are you using, and exactly what Mac do you have?

3. RokoL, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

RokoL thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 13" 2012 MacBook Pro and I'm using the installation disc that came with it.

I may have been unclear before and not sure if this changes anything, but the kernel panic occurs before anything else. I boot up to a white screen at full brightness, get the boot up sound, wait about 10 second, see the Apple logo, and then get the kernel panic about 2 seconds later.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

A 2012 Macbook Pro wouldn't have come with an installer disc. By then, Apple had switched over to relying on internet recovery, which began with the later 2011 Macbook Pros. Start up the computer holding command-option-R, which will start up and download the installer directly from the internet. You'll be able to open Disk Utility from there and partition the new disk.

5. RokoL thread starter macrumors newbie

It must be an older model, then. I bought it in early 2012. I thought it was the latest at the time. Either way, it came with the install and applications discs.

6. RokoL thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so after trying the step you said anyway, it seems to try to work, but after I go to "Reinstall Mac OS X" and verify eligibility, agree to the crap, and get the "Select disk where you want to install Mac OS X" window, there's nothing there. Like it's not recognizing the hard drive maybe?

7. chrfr macrumors 603

Even if the computer is older, the internet recovery system may still work. It's worth a try as it became available to the mid 2010 and later Macbook Pros.

8. chrfr macrumors 603

You have to partition the disk first. From the menu that appears, open Disk Utility, where you'll see your disk. Click on the disk at left, then click on the partition tab on the right. Choose 1 partition, name it as you wish and proceed. Disk Utility will select the options you need to make the disk bootable.
    More detail is here: https://support.apple.com/kb/ph5845?locale=en_US

9. RokoL thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help today, Chrfr. You are a gentleman and a scholar and I am happy to report that after 19 days I am finally back up and running. : }