Help with key on macbook pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macuser1232, Feb 26, 2012.

1. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I recently removed my period (.) key to clean it. When I put it back on I tested to see if it came off and it was extremely easy to take off. I've noticed that the bottom left corner is really easy to take off. Maybe something wrong with hinge? Also, I tested this with my other keys and the are more difficult to lift off. Could you please help! Thanks.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

There are two clips on the key caps. One is intended to snap onto the scissors, the other is intended to slide diagonally onto one.

Be certain to slide one of the scissors into the receiving flange under the keycap, then just press the key down and the clip will snap onto the other scissor.

3. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Do I need to take out the white scissors to do this? Or can I put the key cap on while the white scissors are on the keyboard.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Do not remove the scissors. No reason to.

It's pretty easy.

Use a thin object to lift the scissors to they are in an "x" shape.

Slide one of the scissors into the flanges of the key cap, then press the key down until it snaps onto the other scissor.

After removing my period key, I found that the top of the key is the part that slides in, and the bottom should snap afterward(period) Helps if your backlight is on(period)

5. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Well I don't think its a matter of top or bottom. I think its left and right. So should the left side slide in and the press down on the right side after sliding in the two left corners?

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

What model is your MacBook Pro? Black keys or silver?

7. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Black keys. its the early 2011

8. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I have just looked at the key closely and it needs to be replaced because one part of it is chipped. any ideas of where to buy a new key? for cheap?

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

eBay normally sells them, though it may be difficult to find them individually as opposed to five or more at a time.

I made this video to help.