Help with keyboard shortcut symbols

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeyTree, Jun 29, 2007.

  1. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

    Jan 5, 2007
    I'm trying to figure out some keyboard shortcuts for my new MBP, but I'm mystified by the symbols they use. What the heck is a ? , and what's the difference between an arrow that looks like ? and one that looks like ?

    I suspect I'm missing something pretty basic, like the proverbial windows user looking for the "any" key.

    Edit: Well, it didn't help that the symbols didn't paste properly. I figured out that the first symbol, sortof a backslash with bent ends and a line in the top right corner, is a symbol for the alt/option key. The second symbol, a blocky arrow pointing upwards, is a symbol for the Shift key. I can't figure out the last one, a line arrow pointing to the right, with another perpendicular line stuck on the end of the arrow.

    Where can I get a list of keyboard symbols?
  2. theLimit macrumors 6502a


    Jan 30, 2007
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    Check out this for help with shortcuts. I don't believe I've encountered the last symbol you described. Sounds like it may be the End key or possibly a different symbol for Forward Delete.
  3. MikeyTree thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 5, 2007

    The last symbol turned out to be a symbol for Tab. Ironically, the symbol was right there on the keyboard of my old PC laptop that I've been typing on for the past 5 years.
  4. timestoby macrumors 6502

    Jun 10, 2007
    north devon,uk
    wot do you do for the @

    not getn a mac till oct

Share This Page