Help With Lacie d2 Quadra, harsh motor noise

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ash bee, Jun 12, 2007.

1. ash bee macrumors newbie

I literally just pulled my new Lacie d2 Quadra external hard drive from its box and connected it to my MacBook Pro using a 2.0 USB. I used it for 10 minutes, everything was fine, the thing was totally silent. THEN the power went out, but since my laptop runs on battery, I got the "Improper device removal" message. Now that the power is back on, when I turn the hard drive on, regardless of weather it is connected to my mac or not, it makes this awful harsh motor noise. I read another thread submitted that said Lacies can be noisy, but an hour ago mine was silent. Any ideas?

2. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Send it back, they shouldn't fail that fast. It really depends on what exactly you mean by "harsh motor noise" since some people tend to exaggerate, but it sounds to me like that not hardware you want to keep.

:apple:

3. totolad macrumors member

I have the 500Gb Quad and when I got it home set it to Auto mode, and when I leave it and then access the disk, it makes a strange noise and is loud. I think that it is the disc coming online. It was silent to start with and then went noiser. I thought that it was a problem with the drive but now yours seems to be doing the same thing I am beginning to think that it's the drive, apart from that what do you think of it? I think it is the best drive that I have ever bought!

TB

4. totolad macrumors member

Yep! It works fine. Does the noise go away at all? Try setting it to Auto on the back of the hardrive to see if you have the same problem

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh ok thats good then, you would hate to have just backed up heeps of stuff, then deleted it off your computer only to find that the harddrive wont turn back on. yup i did that. its very painful. :(

6. totolad macrumors member

Sh*t. I hope you can get your stuff back. Anyways good luck with it.