Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chevner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Brand new here. I'm hoping someone can help...

I have a couple of Icy Dock 4-bay drive enclosures. At the moment one is set up with a JBOD configuration, and the other is set up as two mirrored RAID sets, each 3TB.

The Icy Dock enclosures support both USB and eSATA. When LaCie came out with their eSata/Thunderbolt hub I thought, "Awesome. I'll get one of those babies and connect the drives that way. It will be faster than USB, etc."

So last Friday my LaCie eSata Thunderbolt hub was delivered and I proceeded to hook the two Icy Docks up via eSata. I can't get things to work, though. Both drives, which work just fine over USB, don't even seem to want to appear on my iMac. On the occasions when they do, the iMac only "sees" one of the 4 JBOD drives, for instance...

What am I doing wrong here? Is there something obvious I'm missing? Do the drives need to be formatted in a particular way? Is there a driver my iMac needs to work with them?

Really hoping you can help because I'd love to take full advantage of the eSata speeds...

Thanks in advance!

ilkhan4

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
Does your Icy Dock enclosure have a single eSATA port, or one for each drive? If it's the former, it's probably using eSATA port multiplication, which doesn't seem to be supported on the LaCie adapters.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Does your Icy Dock enclosure have a single eSATA port, or one for each drive? If it's the former, it's probably using eSATA port multiplication, which doesn't seem to be supported on the LaCie adapters.

I am fairly sure that port multiplication is not supported, but I don't have any hardware in front of me to test this right now.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
The LaCie eSATA Hub does not support port-multipliers. I got that from LaCie directly.

Chevner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Hi Guys

Just wanted to check back here and thank all of you for your help. Like you said, the eSATA hub doesn't support port multiplication, so that was pretty much the end of the road. I returned it today. Now I'll just go back to waiting for my dream machine - an EMPTY thunderbolt enclosure!

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.