Help With LaCie Hard Drive and DiskWarrior or DataRescue3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darkpixie08, May 4, 2010.

1. darkpixie08 macrumors member

I have a hard drive that will no longer mount. I've tried changing the cables, repairing disk utilities and trying it on another computer, repairing disk permissions, and when I go through disk utility it sees it as an unknown device. I also tried updating external with the LaCie update tool. So at this point I've resigned myself to using either DiskWarrior or DataRescue 3 to try and retrieve the files. However, when I hook my macbook up to the external and then run either program it does not seem to be able to locate the external hard drive. Am I missing something, am I supposed to be able to see the external separately? Is it just bricked and all hope is lost? Any insight would be helpful.

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

It sounds like we need to remove LaCie from the equation, this is a Hard Drive issue. IT sounds like it has died.

Weere you given no warnings that it was on the way out?

In any regard, it does sound bricked, there are way to retrieve the data if you reeeeeeally want to, but that involves sending it to a data forensics recovery service where they crack the drive open in a clean room and run a detailed microscopy over the surfaces of all the platters. We're talking five figures then...

In all likelihood, your enclosure is fine, you can pull the old drive and replace it with a new one.