Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phip900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Hi, I recently bought a second hand LaCie Seagate 2big Thunderbolt 3 External Hard Drive (2 x 8tb). It's only showing as an 8tb drive, so I am hoping that it just needs the settings changed so it's not automatically backing up. Only, I cannot for the life of me get the drive to appear in the Lacie Desktop Manager. And I cannot find any customer services to call! (also the dekstop manager only opens if I click on it 20-30 times!). Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

(I'm using a 2017 iMac running Catalina)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm going to "take a guess" (and it's ONLY "a guess") that there might be some kind of software/hardware incompatibility between Catalina, APFS, and the controller board on the drive.

Do you have another Mac you could try it with?

Do you happen to have a bootable copy of Mojave or High Sierra (I think both of those will boot a 2017 iMac)? I ALWAYS recommend that ALL Mac users keep an independently-bootable EXTERNAL drive around, for instances where the internal drive won't boot, or for maintenance, or "just because it's better to have one than not to have one"...

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
Did you also try to download/run Lacie Raid Manager? That's the goto software for that drive... Link It's possible it's setup in Raid for security or speed reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.