Help with laptop purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by msw0rld, May 29, 2016.

1. msw0rld macrumors newbie

msw0rld

Hi everyone! Currently I have iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6S plus. I've been using Apple products since 2012. Have had the different phones from 4S up to current model. For Christmas I bought my mom the exact same iPad Air 2 and my grandson the Mini 2. My mom fell in love with the iPad. Shes currently using an Android phone and windows computer. She said why can't they be as easy as the iPad? She then said she wants to get the laptop version of the iPad. I had to smile at the way she said that. I set up her iPad and I have had to walk her through the iPad and still do at times. So which ever MacBook she gets I will need to help her. I have never used a MacBook and don't know the first thing about them. She needs it for checking email, getting on Facebook, imessage, checking her bills, FaceTime, music and pictures. Real basic stuff but I would still need to set it up and show her how to use it. So I was thinking I would buy myself one and learn how to use it so when she gets hers I can help her. The problem is I have no clue on which MacBook to buy. Can someone please help?

2. SenseiPhone macrumors regular

First step you may need is to compare between all available macbook sold by Apple here
    http://www.apple.com/mac/compare/

Once you get idea which macbook suites your mom's need, checkout some unboxing videos, reviews, etc.
    Good luck.

3. Superspeed500 macrumors regular

Superspeed500

I would say that a 13 inch MacBook Air would be a good choice. The MacBook is way to exspensive in my opinion.

4. msw0rld thread starter macrumors newbie

msw0rld

I completely agree with you! I don't have a lot of money to just go buy a MacBook. Lol

Thank you

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

What screensize does she prefere?

What's her budget?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    I edited the title of the thread to make it more descriptive. OP, please avoid such generic titles in the future.

7. msw0rld thread starter macrumors newbie

msw0rld

She has trouble seeing and likes things big. She wants her cellphone to be the size of the iPad mini. Lol

Her budget is around $2,000.00

8. msw0rld thread starter macrumors newbie

msw0rld

Oh I'm sorry, thank you for your help.

9. Pitersen1991 macrumors newbie

Pitersen1991

Agree. Could not have said it better myself.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

15" rmbp

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sounds to me like an iPad would meet her needs just fine. If she really wants to go the laptop route, a simple MacBook Pro 13" or a MacBook Air (any of them) should work.