Help with Leopard vs Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ojaysimsanson, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ojaysimsanson macrumors member

Hey all,
    I'm on version 10.5.8 with a Macbook Pro from last year.
    I have recently been viewing and practicing iPhone application programming but cannot find a way to get the new SDK for Leopard.
    I am thinking about upgrading, now if I upgrade, does the software format my hard drive or no?
    And what are the advantages of Snow Leopard, I didn't upgrade earlier because my friend's Mac had it and he said he felt as it froze more often than Leopard.. mind you this was last October-ish.

Any thoughts?

2. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

I would recommend upgrading, It's worth it. It won't format the HD unless you want it to, its just a upgrade. Software has improved since October last year

3. ojaysimsanson thread starter macrumors member

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard and I am having trouble finding the SDK for my computer and Xcode.
    I am watching the lessons on iTunes U and when Xcode pops up they have an iPhone menu, and mine doesn't show up.
    Will it be any easier if I upgrade to Snow Leopard?

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

If you want to be at the forefront of Mac and iOS development, Snow Leopard is the only way to go. I believe you can still install Xcode 3.1 alongside 3.2 (in Snow Leopard of course) if you still want 3.1.

5. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

+1. And it only costs 30$. I'd definitely go this route.

6. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

One cautionary note check your software compatibility going from 10.5 to 10.6. If you are just doing development with XCode then you are fine but especially if you use older software its worth double checking.

I do however in the absence of compatibility issues recommend 10.6 (my only complaint would be Quicktime X but that's a whole other can of worms).

Cheers

7. KeithJaw macrumors newbie

Well, maybe it's just me, but ..

We were forced to upgrade to Snow Leopard, because the latest version of our software needs it.
    After we upgraded:
    1. We had problems with the drivers for all the printers ... still not fully resolved.
    2. The date stamps in Finder became inconsistent. I never know whether I'm looking at a file saved on 9th June or 6th Sept.
    3. MS Office refused to run on one of our machines, and we had to purchase a new copy.
    4. My copy of MS word substituted Greek sigmas in place of bullets
    5. We no longer get instant access to our network drives, but have to wait each time while our workstations make a connection.
    6. My copy of Parallels no longer worked and I needed an upgrade.

However, the shiny surface under the dock looks quite nice, I suppose.

8. HomeBru Studios macrumors member

HomeBru Studios

I just last week did the upgrade for the exact same reason. I held off all this time because I derive my income from my machine and could not afford for anything NOT to work. I figured it was finally safe to do the upgrade because of the number of updates that had occurred since I purchased the Snow Leopard CD (when it first came out).

Other than not being able to use the CD (Apple provided me with an alternate CD but that didn't work either) and having to figure out a "plan B" to get it installed, I have not yet experienced any problems.

I DID know beforehand that my printer software would need to be 'patched' (my HP printer was one that was on the list for requiring a special patch above and beyond the Snow Leopard install) and I also had a program that would scan my application folder against a list of applications and their compatibility with Snow Leopard, so I knew before I did the upgrade, what might not work once I was up and running again.

I have Parallels v4 installed and have no problems with it (v6 is now available just in case you have issues).

It's only fair to say that, even though I fully intended to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard, my "plan B" didn't allow for that to happen so I ended up doing an 'upgrade install' instead. After the fact, I am glad I didn't have a choice as maybe that's why everything is still working!?!?!?

The only issue that I HAVE come across is that a mail stationery I was using as a form letter refuses to load now, but for me, that is an incredibly minor and insignificant issue.

If you want to do iOS programming, you'll have to "bite the bullet" and "go for it" - good luck!