help with levels/blending mode on image?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Keebler, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone could help me here.

I have a fantastic photograph from a client's Grandparents wedding - from 1918! How cool is that!? It's in remarkable condition and I've edited the blemishes etc.. and now i'm working on blending in the left side as it's burned white at the edge.

I've used some levels layers (multiple and screens), but I can't seem to get rid of that white flaring :(

I'm followed page 92 of Katrina Eismann's book b/c I ran out of options, but I can't seem to fix this one.

I realize the right side of the photo is dark and I was going to play with that, but any suggestions for that left side?

Using Photoshop CS5.

Of course, this is the last photo I need to fix for her project.

Thanks,
    Keebler

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

[flying blind]

Could you post the photo so we can see what you're talking about?

[/flying blind]

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

omg. i can't believe i forgot to attach the screenshot i took.

my bad :)

Attached Files:

4. AlaskaMoose, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

I am too new at CS5 to be of much help, but I wonder if this would be of any help to you (?):

a. Take a good quality RAW photo of the picture, and open this RAW image in Camera Raw as a Smart Object. See if you can adjust the area that is too light (left of the photo).

b. Now, double-click on the image shown in the Layers panel, which in turn will open a layer of the image in Camera Raw. Now adjust the dark side of the image, and then click on "Done." The result is two layers blended into one.
    -------------

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks AlaskaMoose. I should have mentioned this is a negative. I would definitely try your method if it was a photo.

6. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Levels!

[​IMG]

30 second fix

duplicate layer, layer mask, invert mask, brush in afflicted area on right side, adjustment layer of levels

new layer, clone brush / black paint brush over the white fringe edge that is left

BAM

7. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

awesome! thanks.

I knew there had to be a way and I was at my wit's end b/c I couldn't make it work.

I do appreciate it and I'll make sure to credit you in helping me when I explain to the client. As much as I wanted to do it myself, I just had to ask b/c this photo deserves to be fixed properly :)

8. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Glad to help!

9. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. I sent you a PM. Having a few issues trying to get it to look as good as your version :)