Help with linking Macbook to LCD projector to run Imovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jennum, Sep 20, 2008.

1. jennum macrumors newbie

I have been working on a kids video with ILife 08 software in Imovie - now need to get that movie onto a DVD and playing through an LCD projector. Apple rep told me to buy mini-DVI to VGA adaptor but there were a couple of other adaptors. Are adaptors LCD projector specific - also want to use my Macbook when giving presentations to different companies and don't want to have any last minute surprises.

2. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

Don't MacBooks come with a miniDVI-VGA adapter? Maybe it was just my Macbook Pro?

Yes, you should get the miniDVI-VGA adapter. That should work on just about every projector. I would have also thought about getting a miniDVI-DVI adapter but I got screwed over when I tried to hook it up to my friend's new projector (Dell with HDMI, so you know it's gotta be good) and it was a different DVI connection?? It was weird. So VGA is the safest way to go...

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Hmmmm... My MBP didn't come with a DVI to VGA adapter. I had to buy one separately to connect it to an older CRT monitor.

HDMI is backward compatible with DVI because it uses the same TMDS signaling for video. To connect a DVI signal to an HDMI-equipped projector, you just need a DVI-HDMI adapter (in addition to a Mini DVI to DVI adapter if you're running a MacBook or iMac). They're around $15.