Help with Lost HD space

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chilla, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Chilla macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've had my first Mac, a macbook pro retina, for about a year now. For the last several months I've had issues with constantly running out of space. I have a 250gb hard drive. I have approximately 40GB committed to parallels, 30GB in pictures, 15GB in applications, around 10-15GB movies, and system files such as the sleep image and swap files. My mac tells me I've used about 200GB, and I can't figure out how this is possible.

Whenever I run a program like Disk Inventory X or OmniDiskSweeper it only accounts for 140-150GB, so it's picking up 50GB less than My Mac info. I would expect some hidden system files would be taking up space, but 50GB seems like way too much. I've searched several times through google, read a bunch of articles and forum posts with similar issues, but after trying everything recommended I cannot figure out what my problem is. Could anybody offer a suggestion on how I can figure out what's taking up the rest of my space? Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Chilla thread starter macrumors newbie

I had seen that post before and tried the steps with no success. However, the thing I missed, and almost missed again, was using disk utility to verify the disk. When I did that it found some corruption and after the repair I've recovered the missing ~50GB. Thanks!