Help with Mac Mini G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hartleymartin, Feb 2, 2017.

1. hartleymartin macrumors regular

hartleymartin

I installed an IDE/PATA SSD into my mac mini G4 but now I cannot get it to boot to an OSX Tiger install CD. I tried the holding down C and holding down the option keep at boot, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

3. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Yes, should I set the SSD to Master? With no jumpers on it is supposed to revert to "cable select"

4. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Okay, I've set the SSD to master on the jumpers. I got OSX Tiger installed but it now hangs during the last bit of the set-up process - where you enter the wifi, keyboard, location settings, etc.

5. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

I'm starting to wonder if the real problem is a bad stick of RAM. It seems to start up well enough but load anything after a while it beach-balls again.

6. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

The jumper should likely be set however the jumper on the original drive was set.

If you replaced your memory, you could try reinstalling your old module, and see if that helps.

Otherwise, just recheck that everything is seated correctly/firmly connected.

If you're still having trouble, try posting the brand, model, and capacity of your new SSD drive, and perhaps someone here will be able to advise if there is a compatibility problem with said drive.

Also perhaps worth noting, it's unlikely that PPC versions of OS X have the trim support for SSD drives. Though someone may know of a way to enable it.

7. hartleymartin thread starter macrumors regular

hartleymartin

Was the Mac Mini G4 picky about RAM? When I got mine it came with PC3200 installed. I replaced it with another stick of PC3200, but according to everymac.com it originally came with PC2700 RAM.

8. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Mine never complained about a 1 GB stick of PC3200. But it's possible that your module may have a defect, or just be a quirky module.

9. amagichnich macrumors regular

amagichnich

Besides of RAM it could also be the PATA-SATA converter as there are many on the market that are of bad quality and tend to cause trouble