Help with Mac Mini Media Center

Discussion in 'macOS' started by idkew, Dec 6, 2007.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    I have a new 1.8ghz Mac Mini hooked up via HDMI to my HDTV.

I am experiencing two (unrelated) problems with it that I can't seem to figure out.

This computer acts as a media center and server for me, so it is not always in use, but needs to be running and awake if I want to connect to it from somewhere. Herein lies problem one.

The mini is first connected to an A/V (HDMI 1.3) receiver, which is then connected to the TV. I use a simple DVI to HDMI cable for the connection. I use a bluetooth mouse (3rd party) and an apple bluetooth keyboard.

The problem is, I will finish using the computer and then change the receiver to watch tv, the mini will sometimes no longer detect the TV when I switch back to it. I can connect to the mini via my laptop and screen sharing just fine, but I can't get it to see the TV until I reboot the mini.

Any ideas?

The second problem relates to Quicktime and H.264.

I am an avid auto racer (legally, on a track). I record my HPDE (high performance driving experiences) on a little 720p video camera. It saves directly to an SD card as a .mov. When I open these on my 17" 1.3ghz PowerBook, they open fine, but I don't have the horsepower to play them.

I was hoping I could use the Mini to preview the videos and make iMovies.

This is not possible because any time I try and open the movies on my mini, Quicktime crashes. If it try and preview them in the Finder, I will crash the Finder.

I have 10.5.1 and every software update has been installed. I have very few 3rd party apps on my mini, and I don't think I have any additional codecs installed. I am sure I have some on my PowerBook, but I don't recall.

Why do you think the .mov is crashing my system?

Thanks for the replies.
    Ben

2. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

Well, I guess I can see why I don't come around here anymore.

Thanks for all the help!

3. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

4. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew