help with mac mini toslink/digital optical connection

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tidytrev, Jan 15, 2008.

1. tidytrev macrumors regular

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, the mini jack will fit your Mini and the other end should fit your receiver. Check to make sure your receiver takes a standard Toslink connector.

Next, you need to set DVD Player app preference to set digital out. You must do this before you open a DVD or VIDEO_TS folder for the passthrough to take effect.

3. tidytrev thread starter macrumors regular

am i right in thinking that i can only make use of the 5.1 via dvd player or will vlc work aswell?

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You don't need VLC (which is buggy as hell). Here's what you do:

1. Use Handbrake to encode your DVD as an AVI (MPEG-4 with AC-3 passthrough) file. You then open the file with QuickTime Pro and then save as a self-contained movie. This movie can then be dropped into iTunes, making it available to the Mac through Leopard's Front Row. I did this with the first Spiderman movie and it was compressed at 2500 bit rate with AC-3 5.1 DD to a final size of 2.5 gb.

2. Follow the directions here to install Perian, configure Audio Midi Setup to digital output, then a modification of the com.cod3r.a52codec.plist file using Property List Editor (part of Apple's XCode development package and a free download).

Playback in Quicktime or Front Row will give you Dolby Digital 5.1 (provided the original DVD was encoded in DD 5.1).