Help with mac OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daperdator, Sep 14, 2010.

1. daperdator macrumors newbie

i just got my macbook which is 1.5ghz with 1gb ram... when i switched it on it runs windows xp professional and does not give me any choice to select the os. i have been told that the previous owner has installed xp onto it and i dont know if it has mac os aswell for dual boot. i can only see the partition C in my computer. I do not have the disks etc with me. I only want the mac os and do not want windows xp on my macbook but i cant seem to figure out how to get mac os back on it and how to get rid of xp... any help will be appreciated

2. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

The first thing you should do is to follow these steps and see whether there's an OS X volume and, if so, start up from that.

Should that not be the case, then you will need an OS X install disk. If the Macbook didn't come with any disks, your best option would probably be to go out and buy Snow Leopard for $29.

3. daperdator thread starter macrumors newbie

i pressed the option key while it was booting up and i can only see 1 partition with windows xp coz some fool deleted the mac os.
    so now i have to get the cd and boot from cd with pressing the option key at startup???
    and also is os snow leopard going to be a bit slow on my macbook coz its running with 1.5ghz intel processor and 1gb ram?
    and is this snow leopard for $29 an upgrade or a complete install....because i dont currently have any mac os and $29 seems a bit cheap compared to MS windows prices.

4. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I don't think any Macbook ever shipped with a 1.5 GHZ processor...

Snow Leopard will run fine on a Macbook - the only thing I'd worry about is the amount of RAM. Technically Snow Leopard is an upgrade, so you would, in order to comply with the license terms, need to be a license holder of Mac OS X 10.5. You don't actually need to have a previous version installed though or have access to the previous install discs. There's also a more expensive bundle available which includes the latest versions of iLife and iWork as well as a full version of Snow Leopard.

5. daperdator thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry it is macbook with t2400 1.83ghz and 1gb ram. i'm not too sure if i should run snow leopard as i only have 1gb memory...btw is it easy to upgrade the memory in macbooks ?
    so you are telling me that if i just go to an apple shop and buy a $29 copy of a mac os it would install fine even though i do not currently have any mac os and have xp instead?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, it is easy to upgrade the RAM ... there are guides here and on iFixIt.

Yes, that Snow Leopard disc will work.

7. daperdator thread starter macrumors newbie