help with mac overhaul

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashjamben, Aug 1, 2009.

1. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

basically my current mac is just full of crap and junk that i can't even be bothered to even attempt to try and clean it up, and plus i'd prefer a whole new system but money can't buy that at the moment. so i've decided to do an overhaul. i'm planning on backing up all my data, jotting down all my important settings and re installing leopard fresh for next week when i'm getting the new ilife, iwork, logic studio and mobile me. here's the progress so far:

time machine backup from almost a year ago to about 2 minutes ago (ongoing of course until i reinstall)
    all my music on my 5g ipod as a backup of a backup
    all my 'home' folders backed up onto DVD's twice just to be safe
    jotted down: safari bookmarks, mail logins, ichat logins, system preference settings and all applications that i want on a new system
    anything else i should do?

just a couple of questions:
    can i 'ener time machine' from my old backups once i've reinstalled leopard? my plan is to keep all those backupss and partion the drive and start backing up to a different partition. i'd just like enter time machine initially as an easier to retrieve the files
    is there a file where all my address book contents are saved to? i'd like to be able to just 'replace' my address book to save time jotting all of them down
    Where are iphone backups kept? i had an iphone that got stolen, but my contract runs out in a few months so i'll be able to get a new one so i'd like to be able to restore the settings and apps from the backup

if anyone else has any suggestions and tips please let me know :)

thanks for reading

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yes you can still access your time machine backups when you erase the machine. I have found that if you name your computer the same as it was before you erased it, it can then use the same time machine backup file and just keep adding to it rather then make a new one.

I suspect the iphone backups are probably in the itunes folder don't quote me there.

No need to right down all your bookmarks simply go into

/users/username/library/safari - copy everything in there. That will keep all the book marks, browsing history etc This is also included on the time machine backup

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you restore your home folder and settings from the TM backup, all the bookmarks and everything will still be there.

4. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

i probably won't restore all my home folder, as that's the one ful of junk. just pick out basic files that i need, i'd just like a backup just in case.

thanks for the help