Help with Mac Purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mountain mike, Oct 1, 2012.

1. mountain mike macrumors newbie

Hello All,
    Great site, lots of useful info here. I wanted to get everyone's input on my upcoming Mac purchase. I was originally waiting for the new iMac, but with all this time I have spend waiting on the new model to come out has gotten me second guessing my decision.
    I will just use the Mac for e-mail, surfing the web, downloading music, playing with some video and picture editing (limited). I have a company computer I use for work so this one will be more for play.
    I am worried that I will want to work/play on the computer while I am watching TV or just hanging out on the couch.
    This has gotten me looking at a MBP's. While I like the portability, the price tag is quite a bit higher than the iMac (I would get the retina MBP).

So to my question: Should I buy the MBP or should I wait for the new iMac and also buy a new iPad for when I want to sit on the couch? I figure I can get a iPad and an iMac for the price of a retina MBP. I currently have a first gen iPad that is getting slow. Another iPad would be nice for when the wife wants to use one which is also a plus.

Also not sure if this matters but I have not owned a Mac in 20 years....

What would you do?

2. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Take another look at the MBP, non-retina and give the aging iPad to your wife. The Macbook Pro may be easily upgraded later to extend it's useful life and it's not troubled with those weird ghosting issues. There are some great deals on an array of refurbs which carry the same warranty as new models.

As for the Apple operating environment, it's easier to go from PC to Mac than the other way around. If there are Windows apps you still need to run, you may do that from your Mac hardware, eliminating the need for another box.