Help with macbook for study!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lolozitta, Apr 25, 2018.

1. lolozitta macrumors newbie

lolozitta

Hello good day, I need help with acquiring a macbook for study purposes, since I'm going back to studying recently after years ... I'm going back to the field of mechanical engineering, and I think where I can achieve such great performance with its editing programs, and still maintain a certain amount of leisure.

My 2 options are:

- Macbook i7 / 16gb ram / 512 SSD / GT750M (Late 2013 or Early/mid 2014)

- Macbook i7 / 16gb ram / 512 SSD / R9 m370x (late 2014 or mid 2015.

since both are great machines and already letting you know that I have a certain leisure with games besides editing programs, some of which are not native to Mac like SolidWorks and Solid Edge, which would you tell me more of the two and why?
    I await feeds and reviews of possible programs I can use instead of those 2 mentioned for example in Mac OS X native, without the need for a boot camp at the moment.

The games are light things like Tree of Savior, League of Legends, Ragnarok Online, Counter Strike Global Offensive, and maybe some future game in animated 3D or 2D graphics. Thank you!

2. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

What's your budget?

Those games will probably play on those machines, but the machines aren't very future-proof with respect to video games.

SolidWorks and Solid Edge are better off used in the university's computer lab.

Unless you have a need for 512gb SSD, I'd drop that requirement to 256 and focus on some other aspect.

3. lolozitta thread starter macrumors newbie

lolozitta

my budget is about $ 1400, about the future of games, I do not think of 3D games like Lost ark, or anything like that, I just think of games like that to pass the time, I have my Desktop for this!

About SolidWorks for university lab, then, I would actually use it at university, however AutoCAD I have used in my notebook because of the work I have to do at home, practices, etc, so I also wanted to use it on mac.

in what aspects could we improve?

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Get the 2015.
    Solid, well designed Mac.

5. jerryk macrumors 601

Seems to me you might be better off with a Windows laptop for your needs. You could probably get a newer system with more power for the same money. Also, gaming is better under Windows. And, it is more likely any future employer will be providing their engineers with PC instead of Macs.

6. lolozitta thread starter macrumors newbie

lolozitta

Does it take the 750m and invest in RAM? Or increase the SSD? Anything I can invest the difference in the 750m model? The use is still for study, the difference of value could invest in backpack to carry, a mouse (even the magic mouse) or related things. What would you indicate?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 25, 2018 ---
    Yes, I thought a lot about it, the idea itself of the mac, it was more about me having used it a while ago and having enjoyed the OS, I was trying to put the useful one together, so I tried to get a not so expensive mac, but with a good video card for games that play nothing heavy. do you know if this model gives for 32gb ram and put 2 SSD, or only 1 SSD is possible? if I take the model 750m, I intend to make some investments as I said earlier, such as mouse, backpack to load the college, among other things.

7. jerryk, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018

jerryk macrumors 601

First. MacBook Pro graphics cards are not the best performing. Windows laptops, because more people use them for gaming can have much higher performing graphics.

Second. Mac Book Pros are best treated as sealed systems that cannot be upgraded. The memory is soldered on and is limited to 16 GB. The SSD is proprietary and there is only one. Some people have been able to upgrade it with third party adapters and drives, but there have been issues like not waking from sleep, etc.

You might want to check with your college program and find out what computer they recommend for your course of study. For college I would go with what every is easiest. The last thing you want to do is have to deal with a bunch of system issues before you can even start your assignment and thus cannot complete the assignment. Or, have something fail the night before the assignment is due.

8. lolozitta thread starter macrumors newbie

lolozitta

yes, I understand well, I'll get in touch with some teacher, most use mac in college, but in classes, as the machines are windows ... there is no k what to do ... I thought more about mac as I said to learn, and it is something that lasts for years, I have my desktop for games and heavier things if necessary, and it movable, I think it is enough and there is nothing to frustrate me, even because it was an indication of friends who will also help me with teaching in mac software I'm glad you're helping me out!

9. MichaelDT macrumors regular

Are you buying in Brazil? If you are, you can get a better machine for much less if you know someone/family already planning on a trip that can buy a new one unbox it and travel with it like it’s their own to Brazil. If you can’t do that get the newest one you can afford, I know the prices are insane due to tax.