Help with MacBook performance

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NDimichino, Jan 8, 2009.

1. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I have a year-and-a-half old MacBook and in the past month or so, the browser speed has been awfully sluggish. Is there any kind of regular maintenance or clean-out process I can do to speed up browsing and the overall performance in all applications? Everything seems to be a tad slow.

Thanks.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Ummm well we need to know what browser you are using? I'm guessing safari?

3. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Yeah, I have FireFox too, it's a little quicker but still slow.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Well have you thought about adding more ram to your computer? My upgraded to 2GB of ram, and my friends old macbook that was running tiger had less than a gig, so we upped her RAM to 1GB and it was instantly faster and more responsive. Then we also installed leopard which has a bunch of nice improvements. I would try something like that.

5. StLCards macrumors newbie

Might be a long shot but try deleting all the saved wireless connections. Each time you connect to a WAP the settings are stored. My brother in law came down this summer and was complaining about the same thing. His was slow on the web but fine when browsing locally stored files. Since I'm the network engineer of the family he immediately brought it to my attention. Once I removed the stored connections it was blazing through web pages again. I'm not a pro with Mac but it worked in his situation.

6. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Try using http://caminobrowser.org/

Maybe it will be faster then the others, otherwise you could try seeing if it's not a particular site you visit often that makes things lag.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Adding more RAM wont speed up your internet browsing, however its possible your computers just slowed down with bloatware, is there any other applications other than Safari and Firefox using the internet connection? Computer updating?? Also you should try updating Firefox to the newest version.

8. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I had about 15 extra saved networks that I don't need, so I cleared that out. Nothing has improved. I don't know if it's actually getting worse or I'm just focusing on it now, but it seems to be slower than when I started this thread.

I tried Firefox again, just as slow.

For example: When I type in "forums.macrumors.com" and hit enter, it's taking about 20 seconds to load the page, one that doesn't have flash, barely has any graphic, or really anything other than text.

I have iChat open, and Mail. I have tried restarting my computer and opening just Safari/Firefox and there was no difference so I opened iChat and Mail back up.

I cleared the cache and history from Safari, deleted all my downloaded files and emptied my Trash. I'm really sort of stumped.

9. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

where does one find these "stored connections"

thanks

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

11. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Open network connections and click advanced.

How do I do this?

Thanks a lot to everyone.

12. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

13. hmai18 macrumors 6502

Disk Utility.

14. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

applications -> utilities -> disk utility -> repair permissions

15. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Thanks, it definitely seemed to work at first, but I think it was because I was visiting macrumors for the millionth time tonight. Other sites are still taking forever. I don't get it.

16. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

open activity monitor. check to make sure there aren't any programs that are hogging your CPU. is it JUST internet that is slow, or are other programs slow too? if it is just slow browsing, i'd have to guess that the problem is with your network, not your computer.

17. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Okay, according to that, my computer is between 95 and 99 percent idle.

18. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Sounds normal to me..

19. MaskingTape macrumors regular

You said it takes 10-15 seconds for the page to load. Do you mean completely load or just to respond? It COULD be a slow DNS response from your ISP. For the hell of it goto www.opendns.org and try out their DNS servers. They are really quick. If not, have you reset Safari? (Safari menu, reset Safari)

20. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Interesting problem. Is your computer slow at tasks other than web browsing?

21. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Everything seems a bit sluggish, but the web browsing is suffering the most.

22. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Which is why is suggested add more RAM. ;) How much do you currently have installed?

23. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I'm wondering the same thing. If you have less than 2 GB I'd most definitely suggest upgrading. I have 4gb in my new MB, and it won't even slow down when I'm running XP with Fusion, Mail, iCal, Word, iTunes, and surfing the internet with Firefox & multiple tabs open.

24. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

It is also possible that your hard disk might be getting full. I think that if a hard disk fills beyond half of its capacity overall performance will degrade. How much free space do you have left?

25. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes, check how much HDD space you have. Although "half its capacity" is overstating it. Make sure you have at least 10GB free.

But also check your network speed by bypassing the browser. Open Network Utility, select Ping, and enter www.macrumors.com.

If that's slow (I get a response time of about 50ms), then it's not your browser that's causing the problem.

You could try modifying your DNS servers to the OpenDNS hosts.