Help with Macbook please

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Legendus, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Legendus macrumors newbie

My macbook is stuck at the screen with the folder with a question mark on it. I have tried a few things like the ones I found on google and so far no go. I tried pressing the command + p +r keys and it didn't work. I also tried to eject a cd and nothing. finally i tried pressing the command + option + p + r and nothing. Guys please help me. I really need this laptop.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Usually that means the computer cannot find the OS to boot to. Could be a bad drive or a corrupted OS install (less likely unless you did something to cause it).

Do you have Lion or Mountain Lion? If you do, try holding command-r when you boot to get to the recovery screen. Then run Disk Utility and try to repair the disk.

If you are on a previous OS version, put in the OS install DVD and hold C while you boot, then try the same thing with Disk Util.

3. Thinowns macrumors newbie

hi Legendus,

same problem me to facing.:confused::confused: can anybody help us>???

4. Legendus thread starter macrumors newbie

actually, to be honest with you. It's my friend's laptop and he doesn't know much about computers. But I will try your suggestion sir. Thanks :)

5. simsaladimbamba

6. Legendus thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What exactly did you try? Were you able to boot from a DVD and run Disk Utility. Did Disk Utility even see the disk?

If you were able to run Disk Utility and could not even see the disk, you likely have a bad hard drive. It also could be a bad drive connection cable or bad logic board, but this is less likely.

8. Legendus thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried everything I said and what you suggested. The dvd drive is broken. The disc needs to be put in manually.