Help With MacBook Pro 15" mid 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itechfade, Jan 25, 2013.

1. itechfade macrumors newbie

All day have been trying to upgrade my Hard Drive.... Literally all day!! The problem I'm having is I'll put in the hdd i want to use (750 gb. Toshiba) I formatted it on my imac to journal. Put in the install disk hit command, I've hit c, pretty much everything I've been told over the web... It doesn't go past the apple logo. What I've been wondering is, Is there a way to go straight to mountain lion, and does it have to be the exact disk that came with the mbp? Please understand I'm a noob with mac just switching over....

2. BigJohno macrumors 65816

You need something to boot off of. after formatting that 750 you wiped all data. Make a mountain lion bootable USB and install it that way.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It's not really clear what you did here.

You formatted using the iMac which is OK but then you put the CD/DVD inside, inside the iMac?
    If so this most likely does not work, you need to put it inside the MBP and then install from there, that is, if it's an older MBP which came with disks, if not it most likely won't work either.

You have to say which model MBP you have, otherwise we don't know if it works yes or no.
    If it's a newer MBP try holding the Command-R at bootup to get into recovery and to install the OS on it.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, and this is likely your problem. Those grey install DVDs are specific to each model.

Does your iMac have at least OS X 10.6.8? If it does, then just DL Mountain Lion from the App Store and do not run the installer (the installer will delete intself after it runs). Then use a 8GB USB key with this free app to make yourself an installer.

Now do an option key boot to your USB installer. Use Disk Util to format the drive to Mac OS Extended... then proceed with the install.