Help with MacBook Pro please!

dxinl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 13-inch, late 2011 MacBook Pro with 2.4GHz intel core i5, 8Gb of RAM and running on OS X El Capitan ver 10.11.6.

I was watching a video when the screen suddenly froze. It froze for quite a while so I forced shut it down. When I restarted it, i was stuck at the page with the loading bar after the log in page. The bar wouldn't move for 1h, so I forced shut it down again, and restarted in safe mode. I was able to restart it after a while, but it suddenly became very slow. I need at least 10 mins to open safari as my laptop will freeze (rainbow pointer) and safari will show up as non-responsive on my activity monitor. Can't do anything during that 10 minutes either (e.g cannot use other apps).

I have no idea what happened to my laptop, and how to get around the lag. Will appreciate help please, I can't spend 10 minutes waiting for every webpage to load and not being able to multitask on word/safari at the same time

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Boot to Recovery (command plus r) enter Utilities, Disk Utility, and run First Aid on your Macintosh HD (lower entry). It sounds like your hard drive may be failing. If you have to swap it out, also change out the SATA cable as advised in the previous reply. Hopefully you have been keeping up with your backups.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Both posts above are on the right track.

Could be either the drive -or- the ribbon connecting cable.

Actually, if you're going to replace one, replace them both.

The ribbon cable is cheap, and put an SSD into it -- it will make a WORLD of difference.

Get a 250 or 500gb SSD, and the costs will be reasonable too.

Go to ifixit.com to see how to do the job. It's EASY and anyone can do it, but buy and use THE RIGHT TOOLS.

Reactions: mikzn and Naimfan

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Both posts above are on the right track.

Could be either the drive -or- the ribbon connecting cable.

Actually, if you're going to replace one, replace them both.

The ribbon cable is cheap, and put an SSD into it -- it will make a WORLD of difference.

Get a 250 or 500gb SSD, and the costs will be reasonable too.

Go to ifixit.com to see how to do the job. It's EASY and anyone can do it, but buy and use THE RIGHT TOOLS.
This!

Get a Samsung SSD, new SATA cable, install, and enjoy your computer for another 5 years.