Help with Macbook Pro RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gpetter21, Jul 18, 2011.

1. gpetter21 macrumors newbie

I own a 2011 macbook pro 13" and i am looking into upgrading to 8GB of RAM. I heard that uprading to 8gb actually increases the VRAM from 384 MB to 512 MB on the intel HD 3000. Is this true and would i see a difference in gaming? Also what are the other advantages of 8GB? Thank you.

2. Chiuy macrumors 6502

Doubt it.
    Ram is ram. It won't actually increase anything except that it's good for multitasking.
    You need more ram if you like to photoshop, run 1000+ tabs, video editing and rendering, and like to do a lot of multitask stuff.
    But 4GB should be plenty, just look at your activity monitor.
    If it says you're using a lot of ram, then I suggest buying more ram and it'll actually multitask better.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Short answer: Yes. When you install 8 GB RAM, the HD3000 is allocated 512 MB for use as VRAM. Whether that makes much difference in gaming is doubtful.

Other advantages are easier multi-tasking and especially if you're running virtual machines.

4. gpetter21 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys that makes sense. so its doubtful that i would see a difference in gaming? i was running minecraft and this tab and activity monitor said i was using every bit of ram i have.