Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
I have a 2014 Mac 21 inch I am thinking of buying a new MacBook To replace it.
I’m looking for advice on what model I should buy.
I’m not sure if I would be better with a pro or air for what I need.
I don’t do any gaming or any video editing just basically surf the web I do stream movies often I definitely want enough storage for pics and documents.
Also would I be happy going to a MacBook from a desktop anyone else made the switch?
Am not wanting to spend more then I need to but I do want a fast speed.
Thx in advance.

Last edited:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I have the 2019 MacBook Air - 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. I do the usual office work (Numbers, Pages, Notes, Reminders, Calendar, Email, etc.). I use iMovie to edit videos and Affinity Photo and GIMP to edit photos. I also do web surfing and watching videos from YouTube, iTunes and Netflix. This machine has no issues/beach balling/lag/freezes - the only minor issue is some dropped frames when editing video projects in iMovie. I also have a 2017 MBP and it is much better with regard to video editing.

Possible concerns with your use case on a MacBook Air:
* Storage space - 128GB will likely be limiting so 256GB or more may be a better idea for pics and documents
* Screen size - I'm not sure how comfy you would be going from a 21" screen to the 13" of the MBA

A MacBook Pro would be faster and more powerful should you ever get into editing videos.

Hopefully my experience on the MBA and MBP can help you decide.

Reactions: mrskullfreak

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
The base 16-inch models works really well. So in evaluating, consider the price difference between an MBA and MBP. Other differences are weight, screen and size. It sounds like price is not the prime consideration. I think either system will work fine.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You might consider keeping the iMac even after you have a new MacBook.
You sound like you don't "absolutely have-to-have it right now". So...

If you're interested in a MacBook Pro 13", you may want to "hold out" until May-June, when a new release is expected.

This will have the new "scissors" keyboard (actually, these are the "old-style" keyboards that were standard before the 2016-2019 MBP "butterfly" keyboards that have MANY problems).

The 16" MacBook Pro HAS the new scissors keyboard. If that size suits you, go for it.

I WOULD NOT BUY ANY MBP with the old keyboard -- just too much chance of "problems down the line".

Reflej0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2020
Less than a month ago I was buying a Macbook (Air or Pro) or a Mac Mini, I had previously used a Mac Mini 2014 and a Macbook (I don't remember the year, but it had 4 GB of RAM and SSD).
I currently have a Mac Mini 2018 I5, after discarding Macbooks Air 2017, 2018.
I am not a regular user of OS X and I only bought it by desire, but among the reasons were the following:
  • There is too much performance difference mainly in the processors, this more than evident when comparing notebooks against desktop computers, check Geekbench to corroborate this.
    While it is true that usually for normal tasks having an Intel processor with U or Y 2-core will not notice a difference, I prefer to have that additional performance with 4 or 6 cores.
  • This item is a subitem of the interior, but the 2017/2018 Macbook Air (and earlier) models have DDR3 memories, it is true that at 2133Mhz they approach DDR4 2400 or 2666Mhz but it seems to me a negative point for 2017 and 2018 computers.
  • The Macbooks have charging cycles is obvious and the iMac and Mac Mini do not, if the computer will have a very static home use I would not like to lose battery cycles unnecessarily (although this point is more linked to resale and useful life).
My opinion is of someone performance fanatic and who has no passion for notebooks (although I use one).
And in fact my ideal device would be an iMac with dedicated Radeon GPU but it goes a long way from my economic possibilities.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A new iMac would do fine, but...
... BE SURE that you get one with an SSD inside (not a fusion drive or a platter-based hard drive).
It will run faster (MUCH faster) for longer.

New iMacs with SSDs MUST be special-ordered through Apple's "build-to-order" pages. They aren't "sold in stores".
The Apple refurbished online store DOES get iMacs in with SSDs pre-installed, but you have to watch carefully for what you want, and BE READY TO BUY when one shows up. They don't last long...

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Thx for all the tips I really appreciate the help..
I may just get a new or refurbished iMac.
My 21in isn't worth anything from what I'm reading.
Its actually a late 2013 2.7 i5 model.
My 2017 MBP is a refurb and I can't even tell. There isn't a scratch or scuff anywhere and the battery had 3 cycles on it when I got it. The only way one could tell this is a refurb is from the box - it has the machine name on the front instead of a picture of the machine.

Take a moment to read this page to find out more about refurbished machines:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.