Help with Macbook Trackpad/Palmrest/Clicking Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DanMarkBen, Aug 30, 2009.

1. DanMarkBen macrumors newbie

I've had my White Macbook 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo notebook for a little over two years. It's been a great little computer.

However, I've been having an issue with it, and it's just getting worse over time. The whole typing level surface (track-pad, palmrests, keyboard) are all acting like they're the trackpad button. If I rest my palms on the palmrest, it's registered as a click. If I press the keys any harder than super lightly as I type, it's a click. The issue is much worse when my laptop is on my lap as opposed to a hard flat surface. Sometimes, I seem to lose total control. I'll be using the trackpad to navigate around my monitor, and it will act as though I'm constantly clicking (following links, dragging icons around, etc). It's getting REALLY irritating. I know I'll most likely end up having to make the journey to the Apple Store, but I thought I'd try here first just to see if anyone at least has an idea of what could be causing this.

Thanks!

2. mtslights macrumors newbie

Bulging Battery

In case anyone searches for a solution and finds this old thread, the problem for me turned out to be a bulging battery. The batteries can swell over time and start to press on the back of the trackpad.
    To test, remove your battery and run the MacBook off of just the power adapter and see if it still happens.