Help with MacBook Unibody keyboard please!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Aende, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Aende macrumors newbie

Hi
    I am new to the forum
    I got my MacBook Unibody about 10 months ago
    yesterday i accidentally spilt some coffee onto my laptop and it basically went all over my keyboard
    i let it dry for about 26 hours didnt use my laptop at all
    now when i started it up again today i realised the bottom row of my keyboard doesnt work
    so i was wondering if anyone knows why this is happening and how i can fix it?
    it is Very annoying as i am not able to type just typing this message to try get help took me foreVer cus i haVe to copy and paste letters from all oVer the page to form this message
    so please can someone help me with this horrbile problem?
    thanks!
    ps eVerything else works fine
    Thank you!

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

:(I'm not sure what you can do about that apart from take it to the Apple store... But to make typing easier use a USB keyboard, so you don't have to cut and paste letters/words...

3. rd261 macrumors regular

More than likely you will have to replace the keyboard; however, if I'm not much mistaken it is quite a complicated task since I believe it is attached to the upper case (or palmrest) of the computer. If the keyboard is damaged then you can either buy a new upper case with the keyboard and install it yourself by following the instructions from ifixit.com or take it to Apple which will probably charge you quite a lot since it will not be covered by Apple Care.

Ps. I just checked ifixit.com and they are selling the upper case with the keyboard for $299, but you can probably get it for cheaper in ebay. Since it is pretty expensive anyways I would recommend you take it to an Apple Store and see how much they would charge you.

Just realized that the backlit model is out of stock, they only have the non-backlit model available for $229

4. Aende thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies
    i will take it to a apple store asap!