Help with macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by USMCKoontz, Jul 16, 2014.

1. USMCKoontz macrumors newbie

So I went to start up my mac one morning and it would not boot up. I finally got it to start and it gave me two options, one being the recovery. I went into it after watching some videos and tried to clear my mac back to origional. However when trying to erase it I got a error, and it renamed it to disk0s2. I had problems trying to clear it, and it would not let me reinstall Mountain Lion, as it showed it locked. (although I was running mavericks at the time, the only option was Mountain Lion). I tried doing a partition and renaming it something like MACHD, but the install would not work..

Anyways after working this week, I opened it back up to work on doing a partition and reinstalling the Mountain Lion, . However now the only option I have is Internet Recovery. It doesnt give me any other options.

Then when I was going to do a partition, I tried to erase the disk0os2 and I finally got the disk0os2 to erase, and not show up locked. and then went to install mountain lion, selected the disk0s2 to install it to.

So now it says it is installing, it got down to 30 mins left, then it showed 3 hours again, got down to around 1 1/2 hours, then back to 3 hours. Its been around 2 hours 45 mins now, and still not done. The blue bar is showing progress, and the timer is dropping slowly though.

I dont know whether it is fixable or should I look into something else? Am I doing something wrong? Never had a mac before so never ran into this. I searched for a problem like mine but havent found any info or help so far. I have unlimited internet from midnight to 5am, other than that I cant download large files due to having crappy internet out in the sticks. My connection speed from midnight to 5 am is around 10-20mb/sec so it is pretty fast

thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. USMCKoontz thread starter macrumors newbie

one day my kid dropped it. Could the Hard drive somehow be loose? Anything I could check before buying a new HD for it? I may just purchase a new macbook instead of replacing the HD.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could spend money on utilities like Disk Warrior etc to do more testing, but it really sounds like a bad drive and Disk Warrior coast more than a drive would anyway. It is also possible you have a bad drive cable, but that is far less likely.

Dopping it would not knock the drive itself loose, but it sure could have broken something inside the drive.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Did you run "Repair Disk" from Disk Utility when booted from the recovery partition?