Help! With macbooks! Which one is for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomasbroval, Mar 23, 2011.

1. thomasbroval macrumors newbie

Recently I have been tired of Windows. I totally hate it and want to buy a Mac Book Pro. I just don't know which one. The 15" or the 13"?

Normally, what I do on a computer is this:

I use Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, I also download music from iTunes, edit videos (I love iMovie, so that is also one of the reasons I will be changing to a Mac), make presentations, and a lot of Word documents. Sometimes I upload pictures from my digital camera.

I think that the screen of the 13" is just too small. The 15" seems a good fit for me, but I just haven't decided. I can afford both, but would save money on the 13" model.

Also, I will be buying software to make documents, presentations and spreadsheets. I have both Keynote and Pages in my iPad, but I have never tried it on a computer. Apple is always more "cleaner" and "prettier", but Microsoft has more compatibility. Also, does anybody know if Apple will be updating iWork 09'? If so, I wouldn't buy it, I would buy it after the update.

I am from Guatemala, and have been thinking about using Apple's educational pricing. Does anybody know if I can use the discount? If so, what do I need to show?

2. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Depends on how much traveling you plan on doing. If you travel a lot I'd suggest the 13" as its smaller and lighter, however screen is a bit small for video editing in my opinion. If you don't do that much traveling then a 15" would be a great fit.

Have you considered getting the 13" and hooking it up to an external display?

3. thomasbroval thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I can't afford another display. I also don't like it. I like working only on one screen. I don't do that much traveling... Sometimes I will take it to school, or some other place. I travel about once a year or twice. The traveling is not an issue for me. It's just the screen size that I hate

4. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Sounds like you should go for the 15". If you still want to save money you can grab a refurb 2010 15".

5. DudeMartin macrumors regular

13" seems like the perfect one for you, but if the small screen is so much of a pain, instead of buying an external display, just put the money towards a 15".

So... if the screen is just absolutely too small, put some money towards a 15"

If you can deal with the 13" screen (I moved from a 19" display from my old Dell to a 13" MBP, no problems adjusting) - it's the perfect machine for you.

6. thomasbroval thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey! does someone know anything about the educational pricing?

7. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Whadya need to know? I bought my 13" under education pricing ...

8. thomasbroval thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I need to know:

If I am from Guatemala, can I use the discount? If I can use the discount, what do I need to show to get the discount when I get to the US (I am going to Orlando in april)?

9. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

You've answered your own question. Get the 15" model

I have no idea about the US education pricing, but I'm sure it's all on the Apple website. In the UK we just have to show a student ID card and you get the discount.

10. josh1231 macrumors regular

Just out of curiosity, how can you have the extra $300-$900 to pay for the difference between a 13" & a 15", but not have money to buy an external monitor for the 13"?

I had the 15" and took it back. It was an incredible machine, but in the end i just couldn't justify the $2,200 I paid and ended up getting the 13" $1199 model.

The 15" was incredibly fast, however I personally couldn't handle using a 15" or 13" as my primary display, and if it were me I would buy the cheap 13" and a 27" display. The 15" is incredibly fast, but even the cheapest 13" is faster than the 2010 17", therefore it's what I would/have done.