Help with MacPro 2008 RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by afkiller, Feb 24, 2008.

1. afkiller macrumors newbie

Hello, I bought a MacPro 2008 with 2GB of RAM and I want to install 4GB more, but I don't know if I can use any module of "FB-DIMM 800MHz" or must be exclusive for MacPro.

Here some 2x2GB prices:

http://www.optize.es/servlet/KINGSTON_-_MEMORIA_-_4_GB_(_2_X_2_GB_)_-_340301_optize.html
    http://www.optize.es/servlet/KINGSTON_VALUERAM_-_MEMORIA_-_4_GB_(_2_X_340557_optize.html

I don't know the difference :S ¿Can I buy the 170€ modules or the MacPro only will works with the 360€ modules?

Here the Kingston links:

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...sp?root=us&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KTA-MP800K2/4G
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...us&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KVR800D2D4F5K2/4G&id=8

Thanks!

2. bigbird macrumors 6502

You must use the Mac Pro specific 800 MHz FB-DIMM's as they have large heat sinks on them. They run very hot. Without the heat sinks the RAM would self destruct in hours.

3. jakealdred macrumors member

jakealdred

the big bird knows what hes doing;)

bigbird is right crucial.com has mac pro memory i think for very cheap prices;)

4. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Crucial.com is very cheap compared to Apple. But OWC is very cheap compared to crucial...

5. afkiller thread starter macrumors newbie

I love this answer :D

Really If the only difference that exist between the Apple memory and the Kingston or OWC are the heat sinks I don't have any problem for making some copper heat sinks by hand :p

I will buy the modules in macsales I think.

Thanks ;)

6. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

the ones at OWC has the heat sinks, as long as you go to the Mac Pro memory. I bet crucial also has the heat sinks..

7. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

Some heat sinks are metal plates without fins. You need the heat sinks with fins. OWC has these.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The only Kingston modules that will work properly are the KTA-MP800K2/4G ones. Do not get the Kingston ValueRAM KVR- ones. The Kingston modules will not start shipping until the beginning of March. Delivery time to your country may be longer.

9. serverplads macrumors member

Hi

I was just wondering if there is much difference between OWC and Kingston?

I have been looking at these KTA-MP800K2/4G

They are almost as cheep as OWC if u count taxes n stuff...! Anyway, are OWC better or is it the same! Also in terms of heat etc.!

(P.S. I'm talking about ordering to the UK)

Thanks

10. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

Crucial seem to be charging £90 plus for a heat sink

The crucial Mac Pro 800MHz 2x2GB kit is still expensive at £272 inc VAT but
    they sell exactly the same spec memory (but perhaps with a different heat sink??) for the intel D5400XS motherboard (aka Skull Trail) for only £180 inc VAT.

£180x2 = £360 for 8GB is still more than OWC (approx £300 with duty) but it is getting much closer.

I've e-mailed them to ask why and what the difference is, but I suspect that I won't get a useful answer.

11. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

For those who are interested, a direct link:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=D5400XS

12. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

13. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I personally like OWC and Mushkin. Both cheap and high quality.

14. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

RAM from Crucial, Skull Trail vs Mac Pro

Here's a transcript of my webchat with Crucial on the subject of Skull Trail and Mac Pro RAM:

me: Can you tell me the difference between the 4GB FB-DIMM kit for the
    Intel D5400XS board (CT2KIT25672AF80E) which costs £180 inc VAT and the 4GB kit for the new Apple Mac Pro (CT774458) which seems exactly the same specs but costs £272 inc VAT?

Man from Crucial : The difference is that the 4GB kit uses speciifically designed fully buffered chips for the Mac Pro which would not be compatible with the Intel board and vice versa. You would have to order according to which specific system you have.

me: But both systems use the same Intel 5400 chip set and the memory
    is the same speed and latency. The only difference is possibly the heat sink but the details on both pages show the same description for these?

Man from Crucial : Yes the heat synch is speciallically Apple approved for the Mac pro and so that is different. Although both systems may use the same chipset, and speed of ram etc, the chips used for the Mac pro are specifically revised for that system. We would not guarantee them to work on the D5400XS.

me: OK, but there is a large price difference. Can you comment on this?

Man from Crucial: The price difference is just down to the specifically revised chips that are used for the Mac Pro that are more expensive to manufacture than the standard fully buffered 800Mhz ram we offer.

me: Thanks.

15. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

"Man from Crucial" is unconvincing to say the least. A bit waffly
    and not giving specific details that would support what he says.

To convince me he would have to describe in precise terms how
    the two types of memory differ.

The suspicion remains that Crucial think a typical Mac user will
    tolerate a higher price than a PC modder.

16. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

Here's another vote for OWC. Their service is excellent and they have a high quality product. My Mac Pro and my wife's MacBook loves OWC! :D

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Don't buy the non-Apple FB-DIMMs from Cruciual or Kingston, only buy the specific Apple part numbers. There are lots of factors beyond the "800 MHz ECC Fully-Buffered DIMM" spec. There are issues of component timing, logical configuration and SPD programming that can make RAM incompatible. For example, when Apple brought out the 8-core machines, most companies, including Kingston and Crucial, had to do engineering changes on their RAM to make it compatible with the 8-cores -- even though the RAM was already 'standards compliant' and compatible with the 4 cores. You can bet that those changes were not done to the PC versions of the modules.

The Mac Pro memory from Kingston, Crucial, OWC and Data Memory Systems is equivalent in quality and all have exactly the same performance.

18. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

I am cautious and middle-aged so wouldn't experiment with buying the D5400XS RAM but I'd be very suprised if the difference was anything other than heat sinking as the D5400XS board is designed for not only 8 processor cores but potentially over-clocked processors (the reviews I read had the processors over-clocked to 4GHz). The chip sets are the same (apart from the SLI additions on the D5400). The only other difference I can think of is that the D5400XS has only 4 RAM slots to the Mac Pros 8 slots. There may be some simplification in the on-board logic as a result but I would be suprised if more than one type of FB-DIMM was produced - it doesn't seem to make economic sense.

I suspect that the price differences are more down to what the market will bear and not any reflection on the cost of production. After all, OWC is able to produce Mac RAM at a low price.

19. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

I seem to recall (my memory may be faulty) that Crucial used to
    have iMac and Macbook Pro memory listed and though the memory
    was identical the prices were different.

Also, again if I recall correctly, there was controversy a little while
    back about prices that changed depending on how you accessed
    their site.

So I tend towards the cynical. That said, they do offer good quality
    memory and their service is excellent.