Help with MacPro Early 2008 & Optical Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Catch Them, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Catch Them macrumors regular

My 2.8MP early 2008 with one optical drive is having some random issues iwth it.

ive only used the optical drive a few times however one instance it wont open for the drive to come out NOW, it wont shut when i insert a disc.

is there a remedy to this???

thank you! :)

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well one question that comes to mind is how are you trying to close it-- via the ejector item in the menu bar, by simply giving the front of the drawer a little push or by a keyboard key? Also, when you say it won't shut does it have resistance (in other words does it begin to shut then hesitate and pop back fully open) or does it not do anything at all?

3. Catch Them thread starter macrumors regular

Eject key only.

everything looks fine, nothings too close or blocking the way. the optical drive opens fine if it take it of the bay and just eject it outwards.

guess id never notice this if iwasnt trying to install windows ;)

* I should add that its the aluminum flap that isnt closing not the optical drive slot.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

EDIT- Ok, it seems that you may have already tried what I posted here upon re-reading your post but I will leave it here as I don't really have any more ideas! ;)

Ok- yes that clarification helps! Since it is the aluminum door we are talking about and it does work sometimes I am going to assume that the tension mechanism is ok.

There is a strong possibility that pulling out the optical drive housing (very simple but if needed a video can be found at OWC Tech Support) and moving the drive slightly back (there is a little room for front to back adjustment in the drive bracket) might allow for freeer movement of the aluminum door. At very least, pulling the optical drive bay will allow you to check out the door mechanism from the inside to make sure all is well with the movement and that there is not some little burr or something that is keeping it from moving freely. There isn't much tension on them so it would not take much to hang them up.

Take a look to see if anything along those lines helps. I would hate to have to lug mine back into an Apple Genius Bar for a warranty fix if I had not tried that first, but that could be needed if the door doesn't pop right up with the bay pulled out! Good luck.

5. Catch Them thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks doc!

well, i took out the drive carrier and examined the aluminum flaps and they both seem fine, i put some pressure on them and they shoot back up like they normally would.

i looked and found this for the first gen macpros:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=281969

im not sure if it will affect anywarranty (doubt it) by loosening it up a bit.
    i can tell the upper flap is completely flush with the case while the bottom one has a slight spacing so maybe its just getting caught with the casing?

but i can put pressure on it myself and it will shut back properly but with the optical drive, nadda.

thanks again.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Good catch on that thread- and it seems like that is the answer most likely. As far as the warranty I can just say that I personally would not be concerned with that simple of a fix. Sounds like another thing to put in my mental notebook regarding fixes.

I feel certain this will work for you from the sound of it. Gotta love a fix that simple if it does! Good luck.