Help with maddenly slowed MacBook Pro after installing Mavericks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by necanikresta, Aug 13, 2014.

1. necanikresta, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

necanikresta macrumors newbie

This is my first time posting in a discussion so please forgive any socially unacceptable discussion posting on my part.

I recently installed Mavericks on my 13" MacBook Pro, Mid 2010 and it has begun running very, very, slow since (some of the time only very, very slow).

I have tried shutting it down and then opening it it safe mode and then restarting. I have uninstalled any unnecessary programs. I have 24GB free on my Hard drive. I have 4GB of memory

I've looked through several MacRumors threads and it seems the best thing to do is post screenshots of my activity monitor and hope somebody much smarter than me can take a look at them and give me a suggestion.

So here are the first 3 of the 6 screen shots it took to show all in info in my activity monitor:

Attached Files:

2. necanikresta thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently my first socially unacceptable discussion faux pas is I suck at attaching screen shots. I followed the instructions in another post to attempt to post them as png and jpg files but all I get is a "?" where the image should be.

Once again, any suggestions?

----------

Okay I just figured out that if I click on the happy little "?" it opens the image. Apparently I'm okay at posting images, it's just the thumbnails I suck at...

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You do have a fair number of third party login items there like Real player and Google Talk etc. You mentioned a safe mode boot. Did it get any better when you actually use the commuter in safe mode?

Safe mode bypasses all this login and startup items and can be helpful in eliminating that as the conflict.

Many of these "Mavericks slowed my computer" issues seem to be related to third party utilities etc running that conflict with Mavericks.

Also, go back to Activity Monitor and look in the CPU tab sorted by % and see if anything there is using a high % of CPU cycles.