Help with 'MAIL'

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kkamin, Sep 5, 2010.

1. kkamin macrumors member

I just set up 'Mail' and linked it to my Yahoo account.

1. Is there a way for me to delete an email in 'Mail' and have it delete it from Yahoo too?

2. The program seems extremely limited to me compared to what Yahoo's email interface can do. What is the purpose of mail besides bringing to together several email accounts?

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1. Depends on what sort of account you have. If you've connected via IMAP then yes

2. If you don't notice the difference then perhaps nothing. Personally I like having local mail that works when I'm offline...

3. kkamin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

I'm connected via POP? Any ideas on if and how I can delete emails from 'Mail'? Because right now I would have to delete unwanted emails twice, once from 'Mail' and once from Yahoo. That would stink.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can't. POP is oldschool where people had mail clients that downloaded from the server to one and only one local client and removed old mail from the server based on time alone (as the user had a local copy). Basically you want IMAP.

5. kkamin thread starter macrumors member

Thank you again.

Do you know if Yahoo will support IMAP? Or am I SOOL?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No idea. I don't use Yahoo. What does your favourite search engine tell you?