Help with Maths

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nick9191, Mar 8, 2009.

1. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Firstly, I am not asking anybody to do the work for me, just wondering if any kind soul could explain what the hell I am supposed to be doing.

The average number of birds in thousands in the wetlands nature reserve in the first year is given by

-
    y = (elongated S with a 1 above it and a 0 beneath it) (-t^4 + 4t^3 - 5t^2 + 2t)dt

Use integration to find the value of (above equation) and hence find the average number of birds in the wetlands reserve during this first year.

2. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Looks like you need to learn how to integrate, I'll do the question for you, but you can learn how to do it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_VM_ZDeIo

BTW You cannot integrate if you don't know how to derivate. If you don't know how to either integrate or derivate and are asked to do a question like that then you have a lot of studying to do!

[​IMG]

3. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

ROFL

But yeah, Burnsey's right. Basically increase the power by one and divide by the new power. You can take constant multiples outside the integral, and split the integral of sums in to the sum of integrals.

Interestingly, I thought the Americans called the reverse process differentiation. That's what we use in the UK. Apparently, we used to use 'dis-integration', but it was too much fun going and disintegrating functions, so it was changed :( That's got to be an urban myth. Mathematicians would no way change something that cool.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

We do. "Derivate" has a different non-mathematical meaning.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OMG! I feel your pain! I was terrible at math. That might as well be Chinese. :eek:

6. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

A good solution.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant