help with mbp 2011 i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevkeys, Sep 3, 2012.

1. kevkeys macrumors newbie

Hello, extremely long story short. the ex girlfriend (no proof) went into my home while i was at work, and poured water all over my 15 inch, i7 mbp, right before i went on vacation. i dried out the mbp, and let it sit in a bag of rice for a few days until i arrived home. the mac battery is obviously shot, but i gotten it to power up and preform. it's running like garbage, even the network seems to be lagging quite a bit. its under apple care, but is there anything else could possibly do to restore this thing?

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I'd buy a new battery and try it out. If its powering on, its a good sign and the underperformance could be due to having it just using the power adapter. If there was a working battery, OSX wouldn't throttle your cpu and possibly even gpu.
    I am in no way an expert, this is just an educated guess for a solution.

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Damn, thats a cold move.....

Well, that water definitely probably did damage to the logic board. You did say it was water, but i would still open it up, take a look at the logic board and wipe clean any possible residue left over. Clean the logic board with some rubbing alcohol after removing the battery. There are tons of guides on the internet on how to do this. If that doesn't help, then you may need to replace the entire logic board. There is a lot that could be wrong with it.

4. kevkeys thread starter macrumors newbie

yea she definitely became a crazy one after the break up, months ago. what would apple do if i took it to one of there stores? i understand that it doesn't cover water damage, but will they charge me and arm and a leg to fix this thing? or am i better off trying to do it myself.

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

You're better off doing this yourself. Apple wouldn't even attempt to repair the current logic board, they would recommend a full replacement which will likely will exceed $1000+ for a 2011 15" MBP. Likely they will find that the mac has water damage from the several LSI (liquid submersion indicators) inside and void your warranty. I'd say its still worth a shot to take it to them after you've cleaned it up and see what they say. I wouldn't even mention the water damage. You have a slim chance that they did not get wet or the Apple techs miss them and just maybe, you might get it repaired for free

That doesn't go without saying that what I just stated is very unlikely to happen....but worth a shot.

6. kevkeys thread starter macrumors newbie

just took it in. i told him it hadn't worked since Friday and couldn't figure out why. he took it in back and laughed as he said it will estimated to cost $1240. i decided to have the same guy who repaired my phone take a look. he said that the last time a newer MBP came in in similar condition it took about $200 to have it back to good again. thanks for your help and fast responses guys.