Help with MBP Keyboard vs. a PC Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sounds Good, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I see that there are no dedicated Backspace, Home and End keys. I happen to use all of these keys quite often -- and, call me crazy, but I like being able to use just one hand/finger. I know there's a keyboard “shortcut” by pressing an extra key, but isn’t using just one finger a *better* shortcut? :)

Is there any way to get around this without having to use both hands to hit these keys?

Also, the Fn and Ctrl/Cmd keys are switched. On a PC, Ctrl is on the left, with Fn next to it -- which makes sense to me since I use the Ctrl key far more often than the Fn key. Therefore I like that its on the edge of the keyboard, easy to hit. Since I'd be going back and forth between PC and Mac, my concern is that I'll use the wrong key.

Anyone else have this problem? Any workarounds you've come up with?

And before anyone says it ;) YES, I realize that these things might not be a big deal to many of you... but they really bug me for whatever reason. :)

So... anyone have any suggestions for better dealing with these minor "issues"?

Thanks in advance!

2. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

It sounds like you're using the wireless keyboard.

The full size wired keyboard with the numberpad will sold all your problems.

3. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, sorry, I'm referring to the keyboard on the Macbook Pro. :)

4. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Reagrding the Ctrl and Fn key swapping positions, It shouldn't be a problem at all as on the Mac you use the Command key instead of the control key for short cuts. When swapping between mac and pc remembering this is never a problem for me so you should be able to get used to it.

5. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, Seb!

Anyone have any thoughts on the Backspace, Home and End keys thing?

6. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

oh haha oops.

well just hook up a wired keyboard to it.

still solve all your problems ;)

7. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Ha! Thanks, but that won't work while carrying around the laptop! ;)