Help with MBP Lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JeffElkins, Jun 24, 2011.

1. JeffElkins, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

JeffElkins macrumors newbie

I have a new (03/11) Macbook Pro 17" connected to a Samsung 40" display via mini-displayport to HDMI. I also have a AppleTV 1 connected to HDMI.

My problem is related to switching between the two computers. When I switch from the Macbook to the atv all is fine. However, when I switch back to the Macbook, the external tells me no signal detected and I'm forced to open the lid and jigger the mouse around until the external display cycles on.

I've tried with mirrored checked and not, neither works without having to open the lid. Swapping to and from the mini with the same cable works fine when I attach my wife's also new 13" Macbook Pro to my display.

This is a major pita for me, can anyone help?

2. cjgonzales1900 macrumors regular

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I have an older (2008) MBP, and mine responds to mouse movement with the lid closed. If a display is detected it re-directs the output to the TV or monitor I have hooked up, and functions fully in clamshell mode.

The only time I run into a problem, is when the display I am using goes to sleep if no signal is detected. In those cases, I have to correctly time my mouse movement on the Macbook (to wake it up) with my powering up, or switching inputs on that TV or Display.

This is only a problem because both the Macbook, and the TV / Display are looking for a signal from across the wire. If the MacBook doesn't detect an attached display it will go to sleep again, and if some TV / Monitor equipment does not detect a signal (in this case from the MacBook), it too goes to sleep / powersave. It all has to do with timing.

Hope this helps. :eek:

4. JeffElkins thread starter macrumors newbie

Why does this matter? At any rate, the TV is my external display.

5. JeffElkins thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW, This also occurs if I simply turn my monitor off. When I turn it back on, the display won't activate until I open the lid of the MBP and jigger the mouse.

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

First off did you read my post?

Secondly, how are you trying to wake up your MBP when it's lid is shut?

Third, do you have clamshell mode enabled?

And lastly, this post belongs in the MacBook Pro forum, to get the most responses. No the Mac pro forum were it currently resides.

7. JeffElkins thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, and thanks for the response. Clamshell mode is enabled and the wake technique is jiggering the external mouse and/or tapping the keyboard.

I'm happy to report that updating to 10.6.8 fixed my problem. Of course, this happened after I posted for help!

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Awesome, good to know. I was curious as to your wake technique as my MBP will not wake after moving the mouse. I always have to click the mouse, hit a key on my Keyboard, or use my IR remote to wake it up.

Glad the update fixed your issue! I should have asked if you had all the patches installed like Microsoft or Apple would when calling in for support :p .