Help with MBP purchase. Please.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lauraelizabeth, Feb 6, 2010.

1. lauraelizabeth macrumors newbie

Hi,

I realise that this question has probably been asked about a million times before so please dont hate me.

I've been waiting for the refresh of the MBP line but uni starts up again in 2 weeks and I really need a laptop before then as I've had to move out of home for uni this year and my computer died a couple of months ago. So I just cant wait any longer.

I'm mainly just going to be using it for uni stuff like internet research and word processing, also listening to music (my library isn't big, maybe 2000 songs) and watching the occasional DVD. I'm interested in getting the low end MBP and I was just wondering if the specs on it are enough for what I want to do? (memory and hardrive, stuff like that - sorry Im not the most computer minded.)

2GB Memory
    160GB hard drive

I realise that you get a bigger hardrive in the current MacBook for less but it's white and plastic and being me I feel like the aluminum will fare better.

Anyway, any help and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

In your position, you should buy what you want right now, and not hesitate to do so. For your use, there will be little noticeable difference whether you get the current generation or the next. Even the base model will be just fine.

As always, I would encourage you to check the refurbished store on the Apple website, as you may be able to save a bit even over the education discount.

3. lauraelizabeth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. My mum is getting if for me through her work so I get a pretty good discout because of that. I can get the low end MBP 13 inch for just over AU$1000.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

As zhenya says for what you need the current models will be more than adequate. You can wait for technology forever and still be behind.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

That sounds like a rather good deal, even compared to the prices I see at the refurbished store. I'd go for it.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That depends on how you define "better." My understanding is that the aluminum is prone to denting; the plastic isn't. Either the MB or MBP will suit your needs just fine. Unless you're shooting for top-of-the line (sounds like you're not), there's not much to be gained by waiting. Enjoy your new Mac!