Help with MBP Retina purchase (config/specs)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ridiculous, Jul 9, 2015.

1. ridiculous macrumors newbie

ridiculous

Howdy, so I'm finally upgrading my early 2011 (17inch) 2.2 i7 which I have upgraded over the years to 16gb ram and a 512 SSD. The graphics card is the AMD HD 6750M, also I run a 24 inch cinema display as well.

I'm a web developer running Virtualbox/Vagrant, Sublime, MAMP, & Photoshop mostly. My current machine is ok other than it's a BEAST, and it sounds like it's going to blast-off when I am running Virtualbox, so I figure it's time for an upgrade. I don't do any video production and very little gaming (my kids may jump on Minecraft from time to time), however I do want to make sure that I can play around with some WebGL stuff in the future and also be able to run one of these fancy 4K displays at some point.

Soooo, my question is what is the cheapest configuration I can get (13 or 15 doesn't matter) while still having decent graphics and the ability to run a 4K display someday?

Thank you so much!!!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

That would be the baseline 15" rMBP (2.2/16/256/Iris Pro).

Aside from the storage capacity, it's better than your 2011 MBP in every way.

3. ridiculous thread starter macrumors newbie

ridiculous

Thank you, do you think the Iris would drive a 4k monitor?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The Iris 6100 wouldn't drive it well, but the Iris Pro 5200 in the 15" will.

5. ridiculous thread starter macrumors newbie

ridiculous