Help With Memory and HDD Upgrade Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Late 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JonnyAlpha, Nov 1, 2012.

1. JonnyAlpha macrumors regular

I started a thread in an effort to get advice on whether to upgrade or replace my Macbook Pro here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1472927

I have a late 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo 15.4 Mac OSX 10.5.8 Leopard.

I have decided to increase the memory from 2GB to 8GB however memory selection tools such as those found on crucial only offer 4GB upgrades.

Kinston does not list a late 2008 model only a mid 2009 model and offers 4GB and 8GB here:
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=56219&mfr=Apple&model=MacBook+Pro+%28DDR3%29+15&search_type=&root=uk&LinkBack=&Sys=56219-Apple-MacBook+Pro+%28DDR3%29+15-inch+%28Aluminum+Mid+2009%29&distributor=0&submit1=Search

I understand from research that by default this model will only accept 4GB max however I have been advised that if I upgrade to Lion and update my (EFI whatever that is) this Macbook will make use of 8GB.

Can someone offer advice on what memory to buy speed / brand etc.
    Same detail for Hard Drives which brand, I have been advised to stick with a 3.5 SATA but what data speed 1.5GB or 3GB, what RPM and what brand?

Many thanks.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

http://blog.macsales.com/9102-secret-firmware-lets-late-08-macbooks-use-8gb

If you've applied EFI Firmware Update 2.8, you'll be fine.

As for brands of RAM, I like Corsair and Crucial. I have also used g.skill in my Macs with no issues. Take a look on newegg and read the reviews. Often you'll find other Mac user reviews to confirm that the memory works well. I've read that OWC sells good RAM, but it is too expensive in my opinion.

As for storage, I'd get a SSD. you want a 2.5" drive, a 3.5" drive won't fit. I went with a 256GB Crucial M4 in my mid 2009 13" MBP. It's a SATA III drive that is capable of 6Gb/s, but in my computer it is limited to 3Gb/s. Still plenty fast. If you need more space than SSDs can economically provide, Seagate Momentus XT is a "hybrid" HDD that contains a small SSD to help speed things up.

3. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

He can also look at the Samsung 830 256, which is a proven OSX ssd and the price is dropping all the time, check amazon.

He can, if he wants, put a HDD and a SSD system drive to get the room and the boot speed.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The Samsung 830 is a great drive, but I feel that its performance would be wasted in an older computer with SATA II(I've got one in my desktop PC, which has SATA III). Anyway, they're both good drives so price could be your deciding factor.

5. JonnyAlpha thread starter macrumors regular

Just ordered 2 x 4GB Kingston DDR3 SODIMM from Amazon and check then EFI update link and it would appear that I had already updated my firmware some time ago and can already use 8GB memory.

I'd also like to upgrade my OSX what upgrade path should I follow? I'm on 10.5.8 Leopard should stick to Lion or Mountain Lion?