Help with memory card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by No Regrets, Mar 6, 2012.

1. No Regrets macrumors regular

Hello,

I'm new to both Macbook Pros and photography. I took some photos with my digital camera today and just learned how to transfer them from my memory card to iPhoto.

My question now is this.....What is the correct and safe way for me to "eject" or "remove" the memory card from the MBP without causing harm to the card or computer?

Do I just simply pull it out of the MBP's slot, or are there certain things to click on before removing the card?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    No Regrets

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Find the card in finder, hit the eject icon then once it disappears, pull it out. Once you've backed up the pictures to an external drive, site or other media, reformat in the camera.

If you just yank it out, don't worry- you're not writing to it, so though the OS will complain that it wasn't ejected it won't harm the contents of the card.

Paul

3. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry for probably sounding quite stupid here, but I am still having trouble....

I clicked on the Finder icon at the bottom of my screen (looks like a face) but I do not see anything that looks like the memory card, or an eject button.

What am I doing wrong?

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Look if it's on the desktop or open a new window and look in the sidebar at the left.

5. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

I've clicked on the Finder icon at the bottom of the screen (looks like a face) and saw the word desktop. When I clicked on that, nothing shows up at all. It is just blank.

I'm sorry....what do you mean by "open a new window"? How do I do that?

I'm apologize for my extreme ignorance. Not only am I very technology challenged, but this MBP is my very first Apple product.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

6. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

If you see the icon for the memory card on your desktop, just right click it and select "eject".

Or open a finder window (click the finder icon in the tray) and look on the left side of the window. You should see the sidebar with stuff like "favorites", "shared", etc. One of those should say "Devices". Under devices it should list your connected hard drives, memory cards, etc. Next to each should be a little eject icon, click it.

If you for some reason don't see the eject icon, or the memory card is not listed there (or on your desktop) it is likely already unmounted and safe for physical removal. Some programs (iPhoto included) can be configured to automatically "eject" memory cards after importing, so you can just remove the card. It's possible that iPhoto has already ejected the memory card after it copied the photos over.

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Here's a picture of a finder window with a new thumb drive (No Name) mounted. Notice the eject icon next to the device's name.

Attached Files:

8. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you compuwar and Ruahrc for your helpful replies. I found out that in my Preferences, that all the various devices were not check marked to be shown and that is why I couldn't find it on the various screens people were telling me about.

Now that they are checked, the icon shows up along with the eject symbol and everything is working properly.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to help me through this. It is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
    No Regrets